Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,174   Online: 816

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Red wing [Aka Calumet?] Or SP Studios Softbox?

Actually this isn't really about the boxes but about the speedrings. Yup I'm still not 100% sure -)

Does anybody have either of the mentioned boxes? Do your adapters look anything like these?

Adapter rings

If so any chance you could measure the opening of the speedring or the outside dimension of the adaptor?

Or better yet has anybody used these adaptors with the Amovona connectors?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To follow up. The adapters are a touch too small for the Amovona outer piece. I don't know if it's possible to jury rig something up or not. We'll see.

Where did you get the light heads. I've never heard of Amovona.

Most softboxes are pretty much the same, but one of the factors is the availibility of speedrings for them. Mainstream brands like Photoflex and Chimera have rings for most lights, however your's I've never heard of.

Jerry rigged speedrings are usually a pain.

Do you have more info to share.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

If you are having trouble finding speed rings for your lights there is another way to attach light modifiers.

If your lights are able to have an umbrella attached then a company like Wescott makes modifiers that attach the same as an umbrella.

This could be another option.

http://www.fjwestcott.com/products/umbbasedboxes.htm

If you still have trouble personal mail me and maybe I can help. I have a number of different light modifiers.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Amovona is I guess basically an Ebay company. Selling softbox,umbrellas,cases,stands and other things I can't remember. They do sell direct but the Ebay prices are very low. For example I bought a few different softboxes for an average price not much more then $10. Sounds good until I try to hang them off anything.

I talked myself into a Speedotron light. The hope was to avoid buying the Speedotron made speedring. But I guess that's something I'll have to consider now. Hopefully it'll fit the softboxes.

The umbrella well that's a different issue. Seems the idiot I am I didn't fully read the manual before I bought the light. Supposedly umbrellas are supposed to be used with the 7" umbrella reflector. Considering how long I had the manual in my hands before ordering you'd think I would have clued into that bit. :rolleyes: I do have have a couple of umbrella softboxes that I got from Amovona. Those at least more or less work without the reflector.

I think I might be able to make the adapter I got work. Just need to figure the best way to flesh it out a little. Right now only two of the four mounting screws actually touch the adapter. If I could just get a third in place it should be okay.

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format

soft box (Amvona)

I too have an Amvona soft box - $20 on ebay. Excellent value - however. I have some Lowell lights (hot lights) and I have yet to figure a way to use the soft box with them. I would certainly appreciate any thoughts. Also, is a soft box much different from bouncing off a reflector or board? and what about just using a diffuser in front of the light. The soft box I suppose minimizes other extraneous light.

There are soft boxes made by people like Chimera that are designed for hot lights. If you use yours you will probably just burn a hole in them or start them on fire.

Soft boxes were designed after photographers started shooting throught their translucent umbrellas and found they liked tha quality of the light. The difference was that soft boxes can control the light from going off in every direction and stop lens flare.

There are lots of methods of softening the light and they all work with some advantages and some pitfalls. Soft boxes are probably softer than many other methods and obviously more convenient. But with hot lights life is more difficult due to the heat.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Amovona actually sells hot lights with the same boxes so they should be safe. If only somebody could figure out a way to mount them. If they were smart they would just copy the SP adapter system it's only a fraction of a inch smaller. Too bad it's just too small. OTOH the SP adapter is much lighter duty then the one Amovona ships with it's lights.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought a couple air-cushined light stands from them for about $30 if I remember right. Excellent value but lousy service. THeir checkout and other time wasting stuff was a deal killer for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just wanted to finish up for anybody in the future facing the same problem.

The Redwing outer adapter ring and the SP inner ring together are likely the cheapest speedring to mount the Amovona boxes. The SP inner ring is lighter weight then the one that comes with the Amovona box but it actually fits the lights.

So if you need to buy a new speedring that's likely the best route. I've only tried the redwing with a rectangular box but I think it should be okay with the octoboxes to. I'll try it this weekend and if it doesn't work I'll report back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin