Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,251   Online: 748

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nick mused: "Funny thing is I was wondering if a digital camera could be used for a poor mans colour meter. I guess not? Maybe not 100% accurate but it would seem it should be possible to take a test shot at say 5000K and then see how far off it is from reality."

Well, on the one hand, yes, but on the other, no, but definitely maybe.

It's going to depend on whether you need absolute colour temperature accuracy (matching light with film); or just relative accuracy (matching lights) and approximate absolute accuracy, if you see what I mean. For most purposes I suspect that a digital camera would do the job, though the colour meter would have the advantage of giving you a quantified indication of how much you need to change - which may not be a huge advantage. Anyway, it's one of those things that's better tried in practice than theorised about.

I confess that, when shooting movies, I have used a P&S digital camera to show the director the effect of mixed lighting, or the difference between a CTO and a CTS.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. Not perfect matching but more a sanity check. It's too easy for me to get fooled sometimes. The eyes just adjust.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin