Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,007   Posts: 1,633,620   Online: 1177

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I want to expand just a little on Mr Barker's point. You will most likely not get the attributes in a small 2x AA battery unit that would be as capable as a larger unit with variable fill flash abilities. If you are shooting a "7" say for portraits, in many instances you'll be farther back due to the fact that you would normally use a longer lens for better perspective. It may also be true that you'll often want to do full length or 3/4 shots of multiple people. A 2x unit can have some power, (the 20BC-6 Metz I recommended has 3x AA and has a GN of 66ft aT 100ISO, but most flashes of the smaller size will not have variable abilities except thru your attached diffusion in manual mode and your need to utilize your mental calculator. On "auto" you'll suffer the abilities of the unit as pertains to it's engineering which may or may not be to your requirements; I.E. variable fill in. You might check the SB15 Nikon. It was one I seriously considered in the past, is small, and doesn't sit high.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good points, Wayne. There are numerous trade-offs involved with respect to size, convenience, output, and flash positioning (e.g. red-eye avoidance) - even before considerations are made for the quality of the light being output and whether that needs to be modified in some way. As you noted, there are situations where the very-small units just don't have the oomph to achieve the desired level of fill.

Most of the time, I think of my Metz 45CL potato-masher (with the appropriate SCA module) as being a small, convenient flash. It is, after all, smaller than a studio strobe, and far more convenient than hauling a gas-powered generator.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin