Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,476   Online: 907

Shooter
    4x5 Format

simple Metz flash question

I would like to use a Metz 45CL series (potatoe masher style) flash on my 4X5 camera for hand-held candids. The configuration in the catalogue suggests that the flash must be mounted on the left side of the camera. Can the bottom bracket on the handle mount of the flash be reversed permitting the flash to be attached on the RIGHT side of the camera?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,
    Henry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look at your flash. You'll see a metal strap that holds the doo hickey with the bracket on. You need to remove the strap and bend it the other way. Then put everything back together. Not very hard to do. BUT if you change the direction too often you'll run into metal fatigue and the strap might break. I don't know how often you'd need to bend the thing to cause problems but I've done it a few times and no problem. If a replacement strap can be had from Metz then it might make sense to get one. Keep one bent in each direction. If you don't intend to switch it back and forth then no problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Carter
    I would like to use a Metz 45CL series (potatoe masher style) flash on my 4X5 camera for hand-held candids. The configuration in the catalogue suggests that the flash must be mounted on the left side of the camera. Can the bottom bracket on the handle mount of the flash be reversed permitting the flash to be attached on the RIGHT side of the camera?
    Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,
    Henry
    Sure can. All you have to do is unscrew the flash end of the bracket from the handle, flip it over so it's pointing the other way, then move the metal part with the push-button lock back to the bottom. Just 2 screws and it takes only a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    You'll see a metal strap that holds the doo hickey with the bracket on. You need to remove the strap and bend it the other way.
    You don't have to bend it, just turn it over and move the metal tab thingy.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks to all for the helpful replies.

I now know that I have the option of putting the flash on either side of my Linhof Technika.

As Weegee said: "f8 and be there".

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin