Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,905   Online: 1092

Images

Smith Victor Model 740

I was given a smith victor model 740 and do not know anything about it except it is a hot light. Are these daylight bulbs or tungston? If not daylight are their daylight bulbs available?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I was given a smith victor model 740 and do not know anything about it except it is a hot light. Are these daylight bulbs or tungston? If not daylight are their daylight bulbs available?
    I think I have the same light, but it is at home so I'm not sure, but it is a tungsten halogen broad light, which would be tungsten. You can use a tungsten balanced film, or a filter over your lens, but I don't believe a daylight bulb is available. Gloves would be a good safety item.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Images
    No kidding on the gloves. I turned it on for like 30 seconds to see if it worked and that puppy was HOT.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If not gloves, oven mitts are a good idea - perhaps even better than gloves, since they have the flame retardant insulation built in. I forget which model the 750 is - I used to have a set of the quartz-halogen lamps that had built-in barndoors - the barndoors would get so hot so fast, once I forgot and nearly took the skin off my thumb. I like the regular Smith-Victors better for that reason- the ones that use normal screw-in type bulbs don't get AS hot AS fast, and they have nice little knobs on the back for aiming them. Great if you want to shoot infrared in the studio though

Shooter
    Large Format
    B&H sells a dimmer switch for around $50 that might be handy for these halogen lamps; otherwise the bulbs burn out rapidly.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin