Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,250   Online: 784

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole

Sunpak 544 with no bracket

I took a chance & bid on/won an as-is Sunpak 544, with no bracket, untested.

If I'm lucky, it wasn't tested because someone lost the bracket.

I'll know a little more when I get it...

...I'm hoping someone can clarify for me what options/requirenments there are to use it on various orphan cameras (modified Polaroid rollfilm-ers and Cg/SG Graflex).

From what I can figure out from web searches, it looks like it has a 1/4-20 mount at the bottom, and some sort of 'audio' connector, 2 or 3 conductor 'phone' jack (1/8" or 1/4"?)on the bracket mates with the flash.

I believe it is a 544 and not a 'D' dedicated model.

I read about flash for 35mm vs MF...and even flash for wide angle...

What difference does a flash make for MF vs 35mm, other than mounting bracket? Wide angle lens maybe needs wide illumination?

Thank you

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    35mm vs MF is two issues to me

1) MF tends to use smaller F/stops so you need more power. OTOH you can often get away with faster film so it can even out.

2) 35mm is one shape. 6x6 is square. 6x9 and 6x4.5 are closer to 35mm. So what does this mean? The reflectors for most flashes aren't round. At the wide end you need to pay attention that the flash will cover your lens.

Some flashes have different settings for wide/normal and some times for long. For example my metz 45 without the diffusor is in normal mode. Normal means up to 35mm focal length on a 35mm camera. With the wide angle diffuser it covers up to a 28mm focal length. But the power drops off some. The telephoto adapter focusses the light and gives more range.

But basically if you're using a normal lens and have a sync connector on the camera any manual or auto flash will work.

Shooter
    35mm
    The audio connector is for the sync cord. There are 2 brackets available, one for 35mm and one for MF. They are all available at B&H. The flash is still available new for $129.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thanks Nick & Tran (I used to Live in Naperville & Woodridge).

It's looking more promising that it should be easy to connect, unlike those annoying dedicated shoe 35mm ones.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    I used to visit Holland, MI very often. Very nice little town.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    :O(

Looks good, sounds bad. Rattling sounds at both ends.

May have to open & see (one hand behind back as I expect to find as much as 510 VDC inside).
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Didja get the one with the over the shoulder batt. pack?
    Should be 6V. 4 C's or D's as I recall
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I wonder how much you paid for the thing? New one is only $129.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    1) A guy a twork brought in a 611 or 622...it had the 510 V shoulder pack battery & charger & used 4 C-cells.

2) Mine uses, at least with the pack it came with 6 x AA's.

3) $9.95 + shipping (another $13).

0) I may throw a little more good money after bad ($9 incl. ship) for an Auto 544 service manual. Even if I can't fix it, I'll learn something a working flash would never have taught me. Something other than electrical safety...anyway. If it's all a waste, I'll just say "grrr...and sell some other project lying around as collateral).

I don't need a flash badly enough to spend $129...I've only ever shot one roll total with 2-3 other orphan flashes I bought because they seemed like 'good deals'.

Eventually maybe I'll learn. Working with pinhole has taught me I can use a stopwatch instead of a flash many tttiiimmmeeesss.
    Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree! Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin