Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,732   Posts: 1,515,277   Online: 848

Thread: ring flash

Shooter
    4x5 Format

ring flash

Hello world,

Does anyone know of a light and kinda cheap ring flash that can be mounted to a linhof technika? some day i would like to add a optical finder and use that kinda of flash for portraits.

It dont have to be particulry strong, just to light it up abit and make that ring flash look.

Cheers Johannes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought a ring flash off of ebay for about $78 bucks that works great for most things I do, works great for portraits on my 35mm and MF cameras. It is a Phoniex(SP) brand.

Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker
    I bought a ring flash off of ebay for about $78 bucks that works great for most things I do, works great for portraits on my 35mm and MF cameras. It is a Phoniex(SP) brand.

Dave

i checked there and alot seem to be for nikons, and other small sized cameras.

Where some that where more "professional" looking, but they had abit more dollars writen on them.

Would yours be to small for 4x5 in power?

Cheers Johannes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bherg
    i checked there and alot seem to be for nikons, and other small sized cameras.

Where some that where more "professional" looking, but they had abit more dollars writen on them.

Would yours be to small for 4x5 in power?

Cheers Johannes
    Well Johannes,

As I am a working professional, I have never had a customer question my gear, it would work fine for 4x5, I would not anticipate any problems if I choose to use it for that type of work, I use it at weddings and such for closer shots of the bride and goom as well as candids, I don't know that the client really pays that much attention to the gear being shot, and I have been doing it for about 30 years now...

This is very simular to the one I bought..

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ring-Light-Macro...QQcmdZViewItem

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow, that IS cheap. I was just about to build a Clay Enos style light frame (plywood square with a bunch of light bulb sockets around the perimeter and a hole in the middle), but -- $78!

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently bought an L Ring Ultra II Ring Light to use with my 35mm SLR.

http://www.srelectronics.com

It is not a flash. It has 24 white LEDs, is powered by 4 AA cells and its light output level is adjustable. It came with 49mm, 52mm, 55mm and 58mm filter thread adapters. I tried it out last weekend and it worked great.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just bought one of those Pheonix RL-59C's for a whopping $38!

For that kind of price, it can almost be complete junk & still be worth it. But hopefully it's not...

Now to find a pair of $70 580EX's....

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bjorke
    Just bought one of those Pheonix RL-59C's for a whopping $38!

For that kind of price, it can almost be complete junk & still be worth it. But hopefully it's not...

Now to find a pair of $70 580EX's....
    Geeze....

That is almost half what I paid!!! and I am happy with the one I got for twice the price!

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bowens do one for their Quadmatic units – this is real pro gear that would work fine on your Linhof. It would probably make a large hole in your wallt too.

No doubt Elinchrom and the other studio flash makers would have something similar, and even more expensive.

Richard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

new ring flash

http://www.alienbees.com/abr800.html

This is over and above the mentioned price point but worth looking into even if only for perspective.

What ever it takes...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin