Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,800   Online: 773

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Brewer View Post
    Exposure to me is manipulating everything between white w/no detail, and black w/no detail with your meter, to line it up so the film represents it as you see it, while accepting the fact that the film will compress each tone from what your eye sees................................... plus the addition of either/both white w/no detail, black w/no detail to a shot, whenever it suits your purposes.

Either extreme w/no detail is a great tool to edit out/draw attention away from something(from the clothes to the face), to something else. So metering is used to enable the film to see something/print out w/detail, or to eliminate something you don't want the viewer to dwell on. That goes from 'high key' to 'silhouette'. In terms of landscapes, I always have decisions to make about the difference in illumination between the sky and the ground in the same shot, and how much I want the clouds to stand out for instance.
    That's fine if you are doing B&W, but with color transparencies you often don't have the film latitude to work with.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "That's fine if you are doing B&W, but with color transparencies you often don't have the film latitude to work with."................Yes, agreed, I used to shoot quite a bit of transparencies, I now shoot mostly b&w, Portra, and Infrared now, and I will shoot transparency film now now and then because of the fact that it's so unforgiving of overexposure.

I love the look of Velvia 100F, though.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin