Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,902   Online: 924

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    wow! thanks for all the info, looks like others found this question useful too
    www.detunephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What do you plan on shooting? Lighting for people is very different than lighting a still life so the soft boxes can be very different. Also there are many alternatives to softboxes besides umbrellas. You can just as easily hang a roll of diffusion material and aim a reflectored light through it, or if you're shooting full figure you can bounce strobe heads off panels of 4x8' white foamcore, etc. Many methods are possible.
    Last edited by Early Riser; 09-06-2006 at 05:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I like to make a frame with oil painters stretchers, then cover that with Roscolux or Tuffspun. It makes a nice diffusion panel, and I like to be able to adjust the distance between the light source and the diffusion, thereby getting softer/harder lighting as needed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Yes, in some cases, but more so I feel to provide maximum surface area with shallow depth, the main point of a soft box being to increase the physical size of the light source, so the "highlight" is larger than the subject, and the light wraps the subject evenly from a greater arc of angles. What we call soft light could also be called large light. Not about intensity, but size.
    Excellent analysis, seconded.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use an octagonal softbox which gives round-looking catchlight to the eyes which I prefer to the rectangular ones.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Can some of you recommend a softbox brand which is good for portrait/fashion shoots? Is some brand significantly better? I use Photoflex 120x80cm (it give me possibilities to use gold and silver inserts), but have not try other brands yet.
    Thank you Martin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin