Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,759   Online: 991

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

LF (ULF?) and ligthning.

When shooting portraits with 11x14 cameras how powerfull will the flashes have to be?

Will there be enough power in those portable flash systems where the flash and power pack is in the same unit.

Would it be ok too use this with softboxes or is more power needed? The application will be mostly portraits in enviromental portraits mixed with other lamps that are on location.

Cheers Johannes

Shooter
    35mm
    Depends on your lenses and film stocks. A basic pro system with soft boxes would have no problem giving you an f9 or even better @100asa at portrait proximity. Most manufactures have guides. They are a little optimistic at times, but not usually totally out of whack.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That depends on the aperture you want to use...

DoF is (far) less with (U)LF than with MF. So you may want to stop down more.

(U)LF lenses tend to have smaller max. apertures than MF lenses do, so you may have to shoot at a smaller stop.

Tight portraits with ULF are in the macro range (!) where bellows compensation comes into play, so you might have to use a smaller effective aperture than you'd like.

On the other hand there are few MF systems that beat a 5x7" camera with a 14" f:3.5 Petzval lens for portrait photography...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bherg
    When shooting portraits with 11x14 cameras how powerfull will the flashes have to be?

Will there be enough power in those portable flash systems where the flash and power pack is in the same unit.

Would it be ok too use this with softboxes or is more power needed? The application will be mostly portraits in enviromental portraits mixed with other lamps that are on location.

Cheers Johannes

A friend of mine (currently on the road - maybe he can weigh in here when he lands ) has for several years now, worked on an ongoing project of 11 x 14 portraits- head size 1:1.

The bellows is of course "pulled" to longer than the lens focal length at infinity to facilitate the image desired and the aperture stopped down to increase needed depth of field.

He uses two 3200 white lightning strobes in a large soft box with the front diffusion screen off. He is also considering using Sports reflectors @ 50 degrees or so beam throw...All negs are processed for platinum prints. Hope this helps. Ilford film....FP4 and HP5..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner
    Depends on your lenses and film stocks. A basic pro system with soft boxes would have no problem giving you an f9 or even better @100asa at portrait proximity. Most manufactures have guides. They are a little optimistic at times, but not usually totally out of whack.

the lens im aming for as the first lens would be a 450 nikkor-m and thats a f9.
    Maybe i should plan on a faster lens?

The film i plan to give a shoot is ilfords ofcourse when the light is low i would use the faster one, push it if needed.

Ole, the DOF could be a problem. But i think it would be worth the hassle when the well executed negative is there. Btw, how was the gathering at Ted this summer, if you attended.

I have talked to him on the phone regarding 11x14 and his enlarger.

Dave, i dont think those systems i have looked at come close to 3200w that i guess he is using? It would be great talking to him about this matter, i would like to use them for make it abit lighter, some sort of mix of the avlible light and softboxes on the face to make it lighter, if the light arent strong enough for reflectors with the avalible light.

hehe, i dont know if it works like this. havent used lights that much at all but i would like to learn.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think getting enough power is the big issue. It's getting enough light to focus with.

My 1000ws monolight can put out a scary amount of light at full power. I think the factory claims a GN of 550 or so with the reflector. Cut that number down with a softbox but use something faster then 100ISO film you'll get back some speed.

That's just 1000ws. They make packs with 4800 ws that can feed one head full power. I can't imagine what they would be like for the victim.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    I don't think getting enough power is the big issue. It's getting enough light to focus with.

My 1000ws monolight can put out a scary amount of light at full power. I think the factory claims a GN of 550 or so with the reflector. Cut that number down with a softbox but use something faster then 100ISO film you'll get back some speed.

That's just 1000ws. They make packs with 4800 ws that can feed one head full power. I can't imagine what they would be like for the victim.
    Then there's the Meggaflash PF330 for when you really need light!

Lachlan
    "A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous...got me?" Captain Beefheart

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The ones i have checked had halogen light adjustments, i asume that it switches so it isnt completly dark when focusing and doing other stuff like loading the camera and so on.

would 300 or 600 w monolights be to little?

Cheers Johannes

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For 11x14? 600ws is just starting to scratch the surface. You´ll be hard pressed to find anything that covers 11x14 that is much faster than the Nikkor 450. They exist, but then you´re talking collectible Petzvals here. Serious $$$$. As has been mentioned, the problem is not so much enough light from the strobes as it is light to focus with. Most strobe systems have no brighter than a 250 w halogen lamp for focusing. You may want to have a separate 500w+ flood lamp around just for focus and composition. You can switch it off when you´re ready to shoot, as it will cook your subject something fierce.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    For 11x14? 600ws is just starting to scratch the surface. You´ll be hard pressed to find anything that covers 11x14 that is much faster than the Nikkor 450. They exist, but then you´re talking collectible Petzvals here. Serious $$$$. As has been mentioned, the problem is not so much enough light from the strobes as it is light to focus with. Most strobe systems have no brighter than a 250 w halogen lamp for focusing. You may want to have a separate 500w+ flood lamp around just for focus and composition. You can switch it off when you´re ready to shoot, as it will cook your subject something fierce.

lets say there is no problem with focusing, if i found out some system for that. That problem can always be worked out with a construction light or something.

The thing im intressted in is just the power needed for exposure, i understand that there is more than one answer too this. Im just probing too see what is necessary in terms of watts.

Cheers Johannes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin