Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,537,003   Online: 1188

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Why is it or is it?

Often one hears that "round catch lights are more natural and therefore more acceptable". Is that because the sun is round? Some prefer the look of window light as catch lights, why is that. Which is more primal, the catch light of the open sun or the "window light" of the open cave?:o
    Last edited by Dave Wooten; 10-14-2006 at 11:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Opinion, opinion, opinion!
    The ones I find odd are from ringlights. Or from multiple lights.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I think that round catchlights are more natural looking because it is a geometry that is repeated in the pupil and iris, as oppossed to two circles and a sqaure. Hard right angles are not the most common human feature. (try to restrain yourself)

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I find this rather odd - the sun is essentially a point source, and the reflection of the sun in an eye would certainly be a point!

The most common large-but-bounded diffuse light source is rectangular: A window.

Illustrators and cartoonists often put in a reflection of a window to show "roundness", so why is it wrong to do it in a photograph?

I asked a local portrait photographer (a good one, won lost of international prices and stuff) about this, and he couldn't answer...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wooten View Post
    Why is it or is it?
    It is what it is.

Or as Bill Clinton would say:
    "It depends on what the meaning of the words 'is' is."

Joe

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin