Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,200   Online: 804

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alien Bees

Shooter
    35mm
    5 years with mine- no complaints- incredible bang for the buck.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One of the earliest of these podcasts:
    http://www.studiolighting.net/catego...raphy-podcast/
    was a lengthy interview with the creator of the Bees and White Lightning units

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They are an excellent design, lightweight, reliable, and a good value for the money. I have two of them.

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    I know! Wouldn't it be so much easier if some of the companies standardized speed rings/reflectors/etc. Knowing my luck, I would invest in one brand of lighting, they would go out of business and I would never be able to find the right hardware!
    The reflectors may be different, but the speed rings are the same (or, at least, photoflex sells you the same ring for both lights).

Dean

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use White Lightning at work but would buy Alien Bees, absolutely.
    I think you can visit the factory if you are in Tn. Always heard good things, especially when it comes to repairing and dealing with the factory.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just bought one recently, and for someone who knows very little about studio lighting, I foung them easy to use. One thing I have heard, however, is the sync cords can go after awhile. So it might be a good idea to keep an extra sync cord on hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has anyone here ever tried the new Alienbee ringlight? It looks VERY tempting in terms of price vs functionality and power (a nice compromise between the mini versions for 35mm and the humongeous studio units).
    I am more of a Bowens pack user, and am a bit hesitant to invest into an unknown-to-me system.
    [SIZE=1]Tiptoeing through life's grand theater - and falling down flat.[/SIZE]

Shooter
    35mm
    Are you sure the Alien Bees and the White Lighting don't share the same accessories?

A quick look on their website, it seemed they have the same reflectors.

One question I had about the (Alien Bees) reflector: does it allow to change the angle of the umbrella without any additional parts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin