Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,845   Posts: 1,582,703   Online: 1027

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alien Bees

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Alien Bees

Hi all--
    I'm curious about the Alien Bees line of lighting. I've only been able to use their lights 3 or 4 times, but was pretty impressed each time. Has anyone else had much experience with them? Seems like an economical way for me to add to my lighting set up. I currently have a small Novatron kit. I've used a lot of Speedotron & Norman power pack systems, but power packs are kind of tricky in my current shooting set up. I really like the White Lightning lights, too, but they are a lot more money. So...anyone like/dislike Alien Bees?
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Been using my for a couple of years now, no problems with them at all, for the money they are great lights, IMHO...

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are the reflectors and other accessories interchangable with White Lightning? That would be very nice for someone who wants to upgrade from Alien Bees to White Lightning later on.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    Are the reflectors and other accessories interchangable with White Lightning? That would be very nice for someone who wants to upgrade from Alien Bees to White Lightning later on.
    Being honest with you, I don't know, I have never really considered an upgrade as the bee's work great for what I do, I know the local shop I used to work at, has white lightnings, I will see if they do, next time I am in town.
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker View Post
    Being honest with you, I don't know, I have never really considered an upgrade as the bee's work great for what I do, I know the local shop I used to work at, has white lightnings, I will see if they do, next time I am in town.
    Dave
    No, they are different. I used both on a shoot. The only real issue with the white lightning lights was the need to use a filter to correct for the SLIGHT blue/cyan cast...81a fixed it.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    No, they are different. I used both on a shoot. The only real issue with the white lightning lights was the need to use a filter to correct for the SLIGHT blue/cyan cast...81a fixed it.
    Drat--there goes my plan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    Drat--there goes my plan.
    I know! Wouldn't it be so much easier if some of the companies standardized speed rings/reflectors/etc. Knowing my luck, I would invest in one brand of lighting, they would go out of business and I would never be able to find the right hardware!
    --------------------

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    I know! Wouldn't it be so much easier if some of the companies standardized speed rings/reflectors/etc. Knowing my luck, I would invest in one brand of lighting, they would go out of business and I would never be able to find the right hardware!
    I was thinking of Interfit Stellar in a similar way, because (I think) they take Bowens reflectors. But several people commented on reliability problems with Interfit.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    They are written about a lot on the SportsShooter's forum.

http://www.sportsshooter.com

I'm a Dyna-lite person, having use them since 1980. Love them.

http://www.dynalite.com/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure if you knew this or not but the company does offer an upgrade program. Also, I know of two pro photogs in my area who use them on a daily basis and they have nothing but praise for them. And their customer service is phenomenal!

*no affiliation - just a happy customer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin