Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,850   Online: 728

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you can achieve that with ldifferent-sizedayers of cloth.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Softbox v Octabox

Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    you can achieve that with ldifferent-sizedayers of cloth.
    I thought of that I just didn't know if they already made something lol

~Stone

Mamiya: 7 II, RZ67 Pro II / Canon: 1V, AE-1, 5DmkII / Kodak: No 1 Pocket Autographic, No 1A Pocket Autographic | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like a DIY job for an enalarged negative and some Liquid Light.

Although I confess that I have not used liquid light, but suspect that it does not work well being manipulated.

I know cyanotype works well when coated on cloth, but I presuem you are not seeking a colour shift, just a denity graduation.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I think it was called Plume Wafer

Quote Originally Posted by blansky View Post
    Wafer, I think it was, was one of the first to offer softboxes that supposedly didn't have "fall off".
    Gary Register invented the Plume Wafer. I think he used an internal mask to control light fall off. It was mostly used by product photographers in the 80s if I remember correctly.
    "Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    yes just density graduation, I think I will just have to buy material and stitch, oh well, it's just trying to match and measure the differences in light output with this is a pain, but the wafers just give off such soft light, it's such a huge comparison to the chimera, but the chimera's are SO much cleaner of a setup and breakdown, wish I could combine the two. Ah well...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Gary Register invented the Plume Wafer. I think he used an internal mask to control light fall off. It was mostly used by product photographers in the 80s if I remember correctly.
    Yes he used a plastic diffuser with white dots that got thicker towards the center and thinner at the edges so the harsh center light from the strobe was more even across the whole box, it's a nice design, and takes up less space, but the material he used has not held up well, everything is disintegrating including the dots which the ink is breaking off as white dust and the internals of the wafer is breaking off as black dust, and it's a dusty mess, your hands get all sooty every time you setup, but the light it so nice....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Take a standard inner baffle diffuser and get someone to sew a circle of diffusion in the middle. Play around with different sizes & thicknesses (use pins or something) if you want to dial it in.

When I need something like this done (custom scrim-jim fabrics, etc) I go to the fabric store - many keep a binder of business cards from little old ladies who sew. Anyone who makes draperies & curtains (most of 'em do) can make you all sorts of stuff. I had a blackout curtain made for a large studio I had - 15' x 18'. I supplied the fabric. Lady charged me twenty bucks, all I needed was a grommet tool and a sack of grommets.

By the way, I have a 6' octabox for my speedotron gear - it fires towards the face, just like any softbox. The only benefit is it's much shallower than a similar rectangle. Can't recall the maker, but it is handy. I like it without the face and just the internal baffle for a look that's soft yet harsh...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M Carter View Post
    Take a standard inner baffle diffuser and get someone to sew a circle of diffusion in the middle. Play around with different sizes & thicknesses (use pins or something) if you want to dial it in.

When I need something like this done (custom scrim-jim fabrics, etc) I go to the fabric store - many keep a binder of business cards from little old ladies who sew. Anyone who makes draperies & curtains (most of 'em do) can make you all sorts of stuff. I had a blackout curtain made for a large studio I had - 15' x 18'. I supplied the fabric. Lady charged me twenty bucks, all I needed was a grommet tool and a sack of grommets.

By the way, I have a 6' octabox for my speedotron gear - it fires towards the face, just like any softbox. The only benefit is it's much shallower than a similar rectangle. Can't recall the maker, but it is handy. I like it without the face and just the internal baffle for a look that's soft yet harsh...
    Yea I can do it, I have the sewing capabilities, I guess I was just looking for something pre-made if it existed, guess not, I'll just have to cut the fabric and sew it myself and hope it's as nice, the thing about the plastic and dots is that toward the edges it's almost see through, something that can't be easily done with cloth. Thanks guys.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've got a shoot this week and you guys got me thinking my octa would be the right choice - haven't used it in a while.

Set it up, and guess what - the inner baffle has a circle of diffusion sewn into the center as a 2nd layer - never noticed that.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by M Carter View Post
    I've got a shoot this week and you guys got me thinking my octa would be the right choice - haven't used it in a while.

Set it up, and guess what - the inner baffle has a circle of diffusion sewn into the center as a 2nd layer - never noticed that.
    Brand?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin