Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,061   Online: 992

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    as far as the B&J, I did find a 300w bulb at Ace, it's their own brand, and cost 4 or 5 dollars. (after the holidy, I can go to the store and get the ACE stock #) The alternative that I looked at was to make a spacer to move the bulb socket approx 1.5 -2" out, use a large 4" decorator bulb, (like the ones that are used around bathroom mirrors).

erie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The lamp does not need to have the same shape. It is the distance from the base to the element, and other factors with the element. I have many TV lights that once used a large bulb type lamp, that now use a more compact tube type lamp. The elments are the same, it just doesn't have of the glass. Even frosted shouldn't make much difference because the pattern is mostly determined by the reflector.

That said, if Don at Don's bulbs said there are no replacements, then there may be nothing with the specs that you need.

As for adapting to newer style lamps, you might want to change the socket. It sounds a lot like some of the lamps that I use, I think they are BVV but I would have to check to make sure after the holidays.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greg.
    At this point I am almost certain that I am going to have to modify the lamps
    reflector to handle a shorter bulb. Unless I can find the bulbs that erie is using from ACE Hardware. The snag that is upsetting my boat is that "Pear Shape" bulbs are not readily available in the wattage I want to use. There are several PS glass bulbs listed, but mostly 500wt. which I feel will cause way too much heat. The PS as the catalog calls the bulb has a long straight parallel shank that mates with the brass contact area. I have ordered a bulb from The Bulb Man for trial purposes. So I will see what develops from that.

The bulb base on the Photogenic bulbs is called a mogul base or E39. I have ordered two 500 wt. bulbs with E26 bases, (Normal house hold lamp base)
    along with two adapters that go from an E39 base to an E26. The E39 screws directly into the Photogenic mogul base socket, then it accepts a regular screw in house hold bulb. This may be the way around having to pay so much for extremely short life bulbs that are no longer being manufactured.

In the past I have used the Photogenics with 1000 wt. bulbs, this is actually more than I feel I really need. If the mogul adapters work and I find I can use 500 wt. bulbs, I will be a happy camper.

A gracious thank you for everyones input.
    Charlie...................................

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a couple of the mogul based large reflector studio lights. Regardless of the bulb life specifications, I have found that in reality these large 1000 watt mogul based bulbs last a very very long time. I have had mine for over 25 years, and while I don't use them much anymore, the bulbs that came with them still work. It really is amazing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin