Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,725   Online: 903

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Seeking the obselete

Howdy,
    Does anyone know where I can find some long necked mogul based 500 or 1000 wt. bulbs? I would like to be able to use my old Photogenic 24 inch studio lights, however it seems they are no longe being manufactured. I have checked out a bunch of bulb dealers on the I-net but have found nothing.

I also have a couple of B&J Solar 5x7 enlargers that I would like to put into working condition. It uses a long neck standard house hold base. Someone mentioned ACE Hardware but when I tried there, they never heard of or claimed they had never stocked such a thing. Anyway, if anyone has a clue where I might look for these bulbs, I sure would appreciate the help!

Thanks a bunch,

Charlie.......................................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Anything on this chart fit your description?
    http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/inshape.html
    Last edited by glbeas; 12-22-2006 at 06:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you know the model number of the bulb, try searching for it in Google, and you should turn up various bulb supply houses that have all kinds of obscure bulbs, and there will likely be links to exactly the bulbs you need. I've found weird projector bulbs and such this way.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Charles,

I use 1000 W and 500 W mogul lamps in my Chimera lanterns and softboxes. They are tubular, and I get them from Barbizon Electric in New York, but there must be many other sources.

They are on page 56 of the Ushio catalogue. Is this the sort of lamp you want?

Best,
    Helen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Project1.png  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    try bulbman.com
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi charlie

try this place :

http://donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/t.pl/...orporated.html

there is a list of all the bulbs for the B&J Solar Enlargers

good luck!

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi again,
    Thanks for all your help, but the truth is I have already tried many of the venders suggested, and have not had a single positive result.

Helen,
    I rescently purchased one of the 500 wt. lamps as shown in your illustration.
    It is not exactly what I need, but may work, I simply havn't had time to try it. The bulb I am looking for looks just like an overgrown house hold bulb but has a long neck, mogul base and is frosted or flashed opal. the opal bulbs are my favorites. The long neck alows the bulbs to be focused for specular highlights. The base of the reflector has a sliding device built in for this purpose. My problem is that I cannot find the manufactuers number or code on the bulb. I have two old bulbs, but no information is on them anywhere.

I am sure I can modify the reflector base to utilize another more modern type of bulb but I do not want to do anything that is not reversable. Finding the right bulb would be simply wonderful.

Thank you all again, I'll keep looking and will share what ever I find out with the list.

Charlie.....................................

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi John,
    Thanks to your help, I found the replacement bulbs for my old Photogenic lights. Most likely I won't buy more than a dozen, as they are $52.00 each!
    At that price, I think I am going back to my old studio strobes.

A thing that I had totally forgotten was bulb life. Whew, from 4 to 10 hours is the estimated life. I struck out on the B&J bulbs, Don dosen't have any in stock and is not sure he will ever get them back in stock. He also says he knows of nothing that will interchange, so perhaps modification may be my only way to get at least one of the Solars's going.

Once again, I thank John and everyone for sharing your knowledge with me!

Charlie.................................

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have some extras, and could probably use the space. PM me. As for the Solar 57, mine came with a Phillips 211, which seems to work fine and is available from the sites mentioned above. How do you find room for a second Solar?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hey charlie

glad i could help

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin