Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,599   Online: 761

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I can hear whispering at the back.*

Matt,

Don't worry, I didn't misinterpret your post, I just get a bit tongue-tied.

Haris,

I'm beginning to wish that I'd never raised the issue. The whole 'warmer light from cooler sources' thing can cause confusion. I think that 'warm' is used to describe light of a low correlated colour temperature more often than 'hot' is used. If director who wasn't technically-minded (and there's nothing wrong with that) asked me for 'warmer light' I'd use light of a lower CCT. If he or she asked me for 'hotter light' I'd assume that referred to the brightness, in particular more highlights. It's all about context, I guess.

Best,
    Helen

*It's a publicity photo for Institute Benjamenta, or This Dream People Call Human Life by the Brothers Quay. Alice Krige as Lisa Benjamenta.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Helen B;427351]I can hear whispering at the back.*

Haris,

I'm beginning to wish that I'd never raised the issue. The whole 'warmer light from cooler sources' thing can cause confusion. I think that 'warm' is used to describe light of a low correlated colour temperature more often than 'hot' is used. If director who wasn't technically-minded (and there's nothing wrong with that) asked me for 'warmer light' I'd use light of a lower CCT. If he or she asked me for 'hotter light' I'd assume that referred to the brightness, in particular more highlights. It's all about context, I guess.

Best,
    Helen

Yes, as English is not my native language, I use terms picked from reading British and USA photo literature, as well as other language literature which use English terms. In all of them (that is how I understand them) "hot" lights is term used for lights with 3800 Kelvin and lower temperature of colour of light.

So, if non technicaly minded director wants from me "warmer" light in photo I would use "hot" lights which will give me warmer light effect. If she or he wants "hot" light I would assume she or he wants more sexy effect, that is lighting setup which will make model to look sexy

Enjoy life,
    Haris
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin