Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,627   Online: 721

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

ring light mounting

I am trying to get up to speed on ring strobes for macro work. I intend to use it with a 210MM lens on 10x8 at around two stops extension. my question is about mounting. I can not tell how a ring strobe would mount to the camera/lens from the pictures of units i have seen on-line.
    It is easier to gain enlightenment than to explain enlightenment.
    Supreme Master Ching Hai

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Some of them mount with an adapter to the front of the lens. The more powerful studio units often have a bracket that attaches to the tripod thread of the camera.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's a lot happening w/ringlights, AB/WL is coming up w/lighter handholdable units w/substantial power and modeling lights which your more powerful units didn't have until now. You're talking 8x10/stopping down 2 stops 4 bellows ext. The smaller ringlights may not have the power you neet for what U want to do.

I've shot various ways through my Profoto ring, I've mounted it to my MF gear, shot handheld up to MF through the opening of my ring which is sitting on a separate stand, set-up my 4x5/8x10 camera on a tripod, and then shooting through the ring, which is on it's own stand in front of the camera.

At one time I toyed w/the idea of having an adaptor machined so I could mate the ring w/a LF camera on a tripod, but it seemed to me to be too much mass/weight on the front end.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Jonathan's website

Ditto on Jonathan's mention of Paul Buff's new ringlight. I am checking it out, it looks interesting.

I d like to mention that the portraits on Johathan's website (using modified lens elements) are lovely....take a look...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Dave....this made my day, I had a lot of fun doing this, recommend it to anybody.
    Jonathan Brewer

www.imageandartifact.bz

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin