Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,217   Posts: 1,532,151   Online: 1003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Starter portrait set up

I am curious, what would be the necessary lighting setup for a beginner. The High school I work at wants a lighting set up. Money is an object but they don't want something that is going to be dead in a month.

I'm the guy they see "hanging out on the side of the road with a really big camera" so i obviously know everything.:rolleyes:

Since this is something I was recently wondering about myself I said I would ask around.

Yes I know available light is the cheapest, but they want a flash set up.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One light.
    Reflector.
    Light stand
    Light meter
    Cables.

Softbox?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Is this for an educational purpose (teaching photography and lighting) or so they can do simple in-house portraits (or something else)?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Start with a single light with a soft box and a reflector. You can get double sided reflectors, gold and white would be a good start. Typically schools get a discount as well.

Cheers,
    Bill
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A cheap light stand with a T-bar across the top and draped with translucent fabric makes an inexpensive, compact, and versatile substitute for a light box. The modeling lights in my White Lightning track the strobe output close enough that I could get by with an incident light meter instead of a flash meter.

Images
    Since they have a graphic arts department they decided those folks should be taking athlete portraits and other not as important portraits in house. Head shots, full body shots. The "Got Milk" ad campaign came up.

I don't think it will happen, but I said I would find out?

On the one light set up, how bright?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wfe View Post
    Start with a single light with a soft box and a reflector. You can get double sided reflectors, gold and white would be a good start. Typically schools get a discount as well.

Cheers,
    Bill
    For a reflector, a bigger and cheaper alternative is a sheet of white foam core -- you should be able to buy one at any framer's shop for $20. Bigger is always better when it comes to bounce reflectors in portraiture.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Probably better to have two lights--one for the main and one for the background--an umbrella (cheaper) or softbox (easier to use) for the main light, a reflector for fill, an optical slave, one tall stand and one short stand for the background light.

How powerful depends on the format--probably the format we don't talk about APUG I suspect, in which case it can be pretty small, even a couple of Vivitar 283s or smallish monolights with modeling lights to make things easier.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

DKT

polaroid ID camera. you can get them dirt cheap through federal surplus....

Images
    I know they have a MF camera, at least I was told they did a couple years ago, and I know they have several 35mm manual cameras there, and yes, they will be shooting with the digital p&s they have. SO lets say MF. I don't know what kind.

These will be color portraits, if that makes any difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin