Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,381   Online: 831

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jolefler View Post
    What's the difference between mine and a 285? A zoom diffuser?
    The zoom feature & variable power built into the unit. With the 283 you had to buy a VP-1 accessory to vary it. Also the 283 is a little more compact 'cus it doesn't have the zoom head.

I currently have seven 283's & pick them up at yard sales or thrift stores whenever I find 'em usually for around $5. You can never have too many
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RobLewis View Post
    http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/02...f-classic.html

Another option for those considering picking up a flash...
    Can't say I have an opinion one way or another- I've never used anything other than the Minolta flashes I've owned.
    But maybe I'll have to try one on for size...
    I have the 283 and the 285, and have owned them for years. They have never let me down. I use them with my Nikon FM2n and with my Hasselblad 500C/M. I also have that little Peanut slave. It's great for bouncing the light off the ceiling while using the 285 in order to trigger my White Lightning monolight studio flash.

Throughout my 25 years of photography, I've only heard good things about these classic Vivitar units. I'm glad to know they are still producing them.

Now, if only I could get them to sync with my little point and shoot digicam.

Pat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PatTrent View Post

Now, if only I could get them to sync with my little point and shoot digicam.

Pat
    I used to do this on my very first digicam
    1. Get a wein peanut slave
    2. attach a sync cord
    3. Tape the slave right onto the flash
    4. cover all the camera flash
    5. connect sync to bigger flash.

It helps to have some vari power type of flash.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just tape a piece of black slide film over the flash.

The problem is, many P&S cameras have TTL-ish flash control and redeye-reduction, both of which will trigger your flash at the wrong time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I used to do this on my very first digicam
    1. Get a wein peanut slave
    2. attach a sync cord
    3. Tape the slave right onto the flash
    4. cover all the camera flash
    5. connect sync to bigger flash.

It helps to have some vari power type of flash.
    Eric:

Thanks for the tip. I will try that. My first effort was to plug the peanut slave into the side of the 285 and bounce it's light off the ceiling. It triggered the flash on the digicam, but the sync was off. So I will try it your way.

The Vivitar 285 has variable power and the White Lightning Ultra 1800 does, too.

Pat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wirehead View Post
    I just tape a piece of black slide film over the flash.

The problem is, many P&S cameras have TTL-ish flash control and redeye-reduction, both of which will trigger your flash at the wrong time.
    That is probably the problem, alright. Well, if Eric's suggestion doesn't work, then I'll know why not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PatTrent View Post
    That is probably the problem, alright. Well, if Eric's suggestion doesn't work, then I'll know why not.
    Make sure if your P&S has red eye thing, you need to turn it off. I've used this method with Oly Stylus Epic and an old Kodak Digital. I think my P&S digi has a non-red eye flash thing.
    Good luck! Let us know.

PS. I've also used this method with a Polaroid Spectra and a Polaroid SX-70.

All these methods I've had the flash on a bracket as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Make sure if your P&S has red eye thing, you need to turn it off. I've used this method with Oly Stylus Epic and an old Kodak Digital. I think my P&S digi has a non-red eye flash thing.
    Good luck! Let us know.

PS. I've also used this method with a Polaroid Spectra and a Polaroid SX-70.

All these methods I've had the flash on a bracket as well.
    Yes, I will try it and let you know--hopefully before the end of the weekend.
    It works OK with my Stylus Epic P&S film camera, it's the Oly digicam that I've been experimenting with. :rolleyes:

Pat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I own a 285 and a 285HV. Very reliable flashes that have stood up to abuse. My 285 is almost 20 years old and is still going strong.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought 2 285HV's cheap ($10 each or so) when the Strobist revolution drove the price of SB's through the roof. Good to see I'm ahead of the curve for once.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin