Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,358   Online: 777

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Brentwood, Contra Costa County, California, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PatTrent View Post
    Eric:

Thanks for the tip. I will try that. My first effort was to plug the peanut slave into the side of the 285 and bounce it's light off the ceiling. It triggered the flash on the digicam, but the sync was off. So I will try it your way.

The Vivitar 285 has variable power and the White Lightning Ultra 1800 does, too.

Pat
    OK, I learned over the weekend that this doesn't work. No problem triggering the Vivitar flash, but it just doesn't "sync" with the digicam. It seems to be firing at the same time as the digicam's own flash unit, but it's not. A "review" of the freshly recorded image shows no additional light that the camera's own weak little flash. The timing might only be slightly off, but it's enough that the Vivitar won't sync.

But, hey, the Vivitars (283 and 285) that I own earn their keep with the Nikon and Hassy. It just would have been a bonus if I could have gotten them to sync with the digi p&s.

Pat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wirehead View Post
    I just tape a piece of black slide film over the flash.

The problem is, many P&S cameras have TTL-ish flash control and redeye-reduction, both of which will trigger your flash at the wrong time.
    Wirehead:

You're right. My other experiment didn't work. It wasn't the red-eye, as I had that turned off. So it must have been the TTL. Oh, well, I love my Vivitars for my film cameras.

Pat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a word of warning: According to Paramount Cords (http://www.paramountcords.com/vp.asp), the 283 and 285 use a synch voltage of no less than 280 Volts. Apparently the capacitator discharge runs through the synch cord. Maybe they just want to sell their voltage limiters, but some shutters or cameras may not be able to handle this. I would do some compatibility research before you fry your shutter contacts or electronics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vanspaendonck View Post
    Just a word of warning: According to Paramount Cords (http://www.paramountcords.com/vp.asp), the 283 and 285 use a synch voltage of no less than 280 Volts. Apparently the capacitator discharge runs through the synch cord. Maybe they just want to sell their voltage limiters, but some shutters or cameras may not be able to handle this. I would do some compatibility research before you fry your shutter contacts or electronics.
    Hmmm. I couldn't get that page/link to come up, but you make a good point. A few years ago Pop Photo Mag had an article along this line. It seems that it also matters when a particular 283 or 285 was made. I know that my own units (1 of each) are safe for my Nikon shotshoe and PC contact and for my Hassy lenses' shutter contacts, but that might not be true for everyone or every camera, as you have pointed out.

DKT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DKT View Post
    Great article, and good to know about. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm Not a word on the Vivitar 285HV as far as I can see. So is it only rumours or have we solid info??
    The strobist blog states that the trigger voltage on the 285HV is 6V so can anyone confirm or reject this info. I aint gonna buy one to find out myself
    Cheers
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vanspaendonck View Post
    Just a word of warning: According to Paramount Cords (http://www.paramountcords.com/vp.asp), the 283 and 285 use a synch voltage of no less than 280 Volts.
    Note that on the Vivitar 285HV, the sync circuit voltage is much less - I don't remember what at the moment, but less than 15 V.

Best regards,

Doug

DKT

that link I put up, had it at 12 volts--check to see, there's a bunch there about the 285.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    Hmm Not a word on the Vivitar 285HV as far as I can see. So is it only rumours or have we solid info??
    The strobist blog states that the trigger voltage on the 285HV is 6V so can anyone confirm or reject this info. I aint gonna buy one to find out myself
    Cheers
    Søren

No, actually there was a note about the 285HV on the chart. I noted it b/c my own 285 is the HV model. Here's what it said--the note, not the original chart:

"Alan Latafat Correa checked with Vivitar and they clarified: The 285HV has a voltage of 12V. The 285 has a voltage of 350V. Hope this helps you. (Thanks Alan!)"

In the past, I have used my own 285HV with a Canon ElanIIe a few times and did not have a problem. But according to the original chart, the plain 285 has a "your call" rating. So it would be important in buying a 285 to know whether one was getting a "285" or a "285HV." At least that's my own understanding from all of this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin