Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,838   Online: 724

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Vivitar 283 and 285 returns!

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/02...f-classic.html

Another option for those considering picking up a flash...
    Can't say I have an opinion one way or another- I've never used anything other than the Minolta flashes I've owned.
    But maybe I'll have to try one on for size...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have the 285 which my father used to use for weddings. He says that it was the only flash he has ever used which had a light output which matched the manufacturer's claims. Most others were over-rated.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I have the 285 which my father used to use for weddings. He says that it was the only flash he has ever used which had a light output which matched the manufacturer's claims. Most others were over-rated.

Steve.
    I still use my 285, which I bought in 1980! Great unit and output.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it both the 283 and 285? I think its just the 285 reintroduced. I looked at B&H and they have 285's for $89.00. I have 4 Vivitar 283's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I paid the Princely sum of £5.00 for my 285 at a second-hand market stall in Plymouth about ten years ago in superb condition. An absolute bargain.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Is it both the 283 and 285? I think its just the 285 reintroduced.
    I didn't see anything on Vivitars website, which appears to imply that the only thing they make is a handful of digigizmos. (But I saw it on a blog, so it MUST be true)

Indeed- looks like enough used ones are floating around, and by the few posts here so far, they are probably still pretty functional.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobLewis View Post
    I(But I saw it on a blog, so it MUST be true)

Everything on the web is TRUE!

If not been reintroduced, B&H may have a lot on hand. I think the point (IMHO) that guy on that blog is trying to point out is that people are spending (people like the ones I work with who buy $1500 D80's for their wives) over $300 for a flash that does something anyone with basic understanding of exposure can do. I ductape my my vivitars together and pop them into an umbrella.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I used to do weddings the 285hv was a staple. Ultra reliable and great for multi flash setups. Cool. Thanks for sharing. Shawn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think we've got the digital revolution to thank for that.

With digital cameras, it's easy to chimp to a good off-camera exposure and takes the fear out of screwing around with flashes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Actual milage may vary.

I've only got a 283, But it may be weaker than normal as I shoot it at a guide number (in feet) of 80 with 100 speed film. It's what my flash meter (and another borrowed one) reads at the 5/10/20 foot tests.

I sometimes use it with a tape on diffuser @ 45 degrees with a guide number of 56...nice when directly above the lens...kinda bare bulb.

Like Eric, I'll put a few 80 GN Sunpak units with it in an umbrella. Also nice.

What's the difference between mine and a 285? A zoom diffuser?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin