Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,843   Online: 773

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flash bulbs.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Flash bulbs.

Could anyone tell me the correct bulbs to purchase for a Honeywell Tilt-A-Mite flash. I was given 2 different units and would like to have a go at bulb photography.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AG1 is likely. What does the socket look like?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi mike

someone on PN suggests M3B bulbs ...
    http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetc...id=00AnoC&tag=

good luck!

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My recollection is M bulbs: M3 or M3B.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have a bulb flash for an old Argus C3 camera...where is a good place to purchase these items?

Richard

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dickie vaara View Post
    I have a bulb flash for an old Argus C3 camera...where is a good place to purchase these items?

Richard
    Flash bulbs are often available on ebay.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree with the M3 bulbs - they did have a base of sorts. The AG1 bulbs came later and were incorporated in the strip of bulbs which fitted some cameras of the era.
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    definitely M3, that's what i use in my tilt-a-mite. btw make sure you have the battery (photobattery.com) it is a weird 15volt. It works great with my Retina 2a.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I think bulbs are still made in Ireland, but are very expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I usually get my M3/M2/M5/P25 bulbs from eBay at reasonable cost. One thing to bear in mind with bulbs, is that even when used with leaf shutters, they don't have a constant guide number between shutter speeds (I think you have a Yashica D, Mike?). That's because they take much longer to burn than an electronic flash, so that their full outputis over a duration much longer than the 1/1000s (1/10,000s?) of the flash. It took me a while to understand that, so I thought I'd pass the knowledge around.

The flipside of it, is that you might be able to use them at a higher sync speed than the recommended 1/30s on a focal plane shutter small format camera. AFAIK, real "focal plane" bulbs were designed for large format shutters like that of the Speed Graphic, which takes much longer to complete its travel than the shutter of a small format camera.

Finally, if you want a classic flashgun for bigger bulbs (like the M5/P25), don't bother for the Graflex star wars one, they're all sold to the nerds. Get a Kalart instead, nobody knows about them, and they look nearly as cool on an old camera. It needs only two "C" batteries, which are much easier to find than the 22v of the tilt-a-mite.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin