Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,863   Posts: 1,583,189   Online: 761

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Nisperos View Post
    Really nice work, Singlo . . . even if they had been in a studio the size of an airplane hangar! All the more to your credit that you did such a good job in a tiny space.

Shows that space ain't everything (depending upon format!!). Some of the most memorable portraits were created in small spaces.

One small criticism —and hopefully, a hint for improvement— regarding the tight headshot among your examples: there's a weird nose shadow on the left side of the pretty subject's face. Is it intentional? If not, perhaps it's a cross-shadow due to bad lateral position of your fill? I'm not sure. Anyway, wanted to bring it to your attention.

in Again, congratulations on your work.

Christopher
    Thanks Christopher my Dedo brother. It means a lot for me with compliments coming from you. Yes you are right about that nose shadow. I use a 3'x4' Chimera softbox as fill but it is impossible to place it under the camera becuase of the fact I have no space to stand. So the fill is always off camera axis not by choice but severe limitations of space. I always get shadows on the background from the soft fill becuase the model is sitting 1 feet from background so I have to move the fill to minimise that shadows.

Whenever I use the monster 14" Elinchrom fresnel, I mount it on a heavy duty cine castor stand, then C-stand for the Arri and stands for other lights and cookies..well I have hardly anyway space to stand. I have to move around in this small jungle of lights like a monkey. I feel like to cry sometimes becuase the space problem works against me all the time. On the other hand Dedo lights really kick arse and works like charm in small space.

Today I use the Dedos and Arri as key for the first time on anothor model. The girl has good skin so I don't use diffusion for the key. I may post the results here after I do some retouching. I am so amazed by Dedo...it is not that hard light if you place it very close to the model face. You know hard light can accentuate bad skins, spots, lines.. and that's something I have to watch out for....but still Long Live to Hard lights!
    Last edited by singlo; 05-14-2007 at 07:04 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBBo View Post
    This is close to what I've been doing, though I've been doing it directly on my sources, seems to have helped out quite a bit. Been using deep red actually.
    Dark Blue lipstick works best under this light.
    Costs me about a stop or more of power though. Kinda sucks.
    Tungsten lights are closer to that kind of light anyways though, I only do this because I'm using strobes and all that 'blue light' hitting my models was picking up tons of freckles and other nonsense that I didn't want to have anything to do with.
    Hope this is not yours and my imagination becuase I too have noticed that tungsten lights seem to be kinder to skin spots and freckles. I use both strobes and tungsten. I notice the differences. Most strobe users say lots of negative things and bashing about hot lights, but for me hot lights are like Pandora Box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by singlo View Post
    Hope this is not yours and my imagination becuase I too have noticed that tungsten lights seem to be kinder to skin spots and freckles. I use both strobes and tungsten. I notice the differences. Most strobe users say lots of negative things and bashing about hot lights, but for me hot lights are like Pandora Box.
    Well, the three things that determine the quality of a lightsource are it's size, eveness and spectral makeup. If these can be matched closely, through filters and/or other means, the effect on film will be the same. Tungsten light is considerably yellower than daylight flash, as such yellowish tones will appear lighter with tungsten than with daylight flash, that is, unless you filter the flash appropriately.

I have a Century No. Six Studio camera, a Veritas 19" lens and movie lights, and I've done some Hurrell style shots. To claim that indistinguishable results can't be gotten with strobes or with smaller formats is simply wrong, assuming that one doesn't enlarge too much. The advantages of 8x10 are the ability to make very big enlargements, assuming your focus is on! (Many Hollywood Golden Age photographs aren't perfectly in focus}; and the fact that negative retouching is much easier on larger negatives.

Shooter
    35mm
    here are some tests with the Dedo 150W or Arri 1KW as key lights done yestersday.( No diffusion on the key light and hardly any retouching on her skin.) Again I try not to get the Hollywood look but instead borrow inspiration from their techniques. The previous photos I posted were done with Fresnel strobe attachments. Note the last photo, you will see the inevitable pitfall of fill light creating unwanted shadow on the background when the model sat very close to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0063BWsmall.jpg   IMG_0055bwsmall.jpg   IMG_2979BWsmall.jpg   IMG_9861BWsmall.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format

attack of the Home Depot "Ghetto Bees"

first shoot -- an imaginative depiction of the Director of Interrogations, Abu Gharib prison.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0401am-1a700srgb.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I really like a few of these... to my surprise no one ever set up such a flickr group! so I did

http://www.flickr.com/groups/hollywoodportrait/

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    (Many Hollywood Golden Age photographs aren't perfectly in focus}
    Amen. However, note that much of the "publicity portraiture" of the era was not necessarily intended to be enlarged anyway. As already mentioned on this thread, contact printing was the most economical way to go, at the time. Portraits which were enlarged were often just to 11x14 or —more rarely— 16x20. I believe these were called "lobby portraits".

Christopher

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by singlo View Post
    Thanks Christopher my Dedo brother.
    I use a 3'x4' Chimera softbox as fill but it is impossible to place it under the camera becuase of the fact I have no space to stand. So the fill is always off camera axis not by choice but severe limitations of space. I always get shadows on the background from the soft fill becuase the model is sitting 1 feet from background so I have to move the fill to minimise that shadows.
    . . . On the other hand Dedo lights really kick arse and works like charm in small space. . . . . I am so amazed by Dedo...it is not that hard light if you place it very close to the model face.
    Singlo,

What kind of light source (brand & model) are you using for your fill?
    Your compositions seem tight.. Can't you use your light with a smaller softbox or striplight (if you have one), and therefore closer to your camera?

Have you tried simply bouncing a Dedo onto a white card or sheet of styrofoam positioned near or above the camera lens (good lens shading oblige!)?

Lastly, if your light is small & lightweight enough, you could mount it to an articulated arm and attach it to your tripod leg, thereby eliminating a lightstand and freeing-up some space for yourself.

Christopher

PS - do I understand correctly that you would ordinarily place your fill under the camera, if you could? //cn

Last edited by Christopher Nisperos; 05-20-2007 at 11:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Nisperos View Post
    Singlo,

What kind of light source (brand & model) are you using for your fill?
    hello Christopher brother,
    For fill, I use Elinchrom BX100 flash head mounted with a small Chimera Super Pro Plus softbox fitted 20 degrees grid and a full CTO gel. The grid here is not to control spill but to cut down the output of the strobe, otherwise it is too powerful to mix it with hot lights. I don't have enough hot lights at the moment so I have to mix hotlights with existing strobes. Ideally I should get more hot lights but I don't have the money.... I have just bought the Dedo projection attachment with zoom lens.

Your compositions seem tight..
    Yeah I can't shoot less tight, if I zoom the lens at wider angle, I get lens distortion of arms and legs at this cramped shooting distance;e.g. making girls arms and legs fat! So I often shoot with telephoto zoom and stand outside my room by the door.

Can't you use your light with a smaller softbox or striplight (if you have one), and therefore closer to your camera?
    I also have a chimera extra small softbox fitted 20 degree grid but it is often used as kicker/hair light. I have also two chimera strip boxes but they are very deep taking up lots of space.

Also I doubt if smaller softbox would be as effective as larger one for fill. My theory is that the smaller the fill, the harder the shadows it produces on the background.

In your experience with Dedo small softbox as fill, do you find it effective?

Have you tried simply bouncing a Dedo onto a white card or sheet of styrofoam positioned near or above the camera lens (good lens shading oblige!)?Lastly, if your light is small & lightweight enough, you could mount it to an articulated arm and attach it to your tripod leg, thereby eliminating a lightstand and freeing-up some space for yourself.
    Good suggestions. I haven't tried it. Perhaps this is my next experiment. I bought a Matthrews articulate balls arm and Dedo flex arm a while ago and sometimes I mount the Dedo and arm on furnitures with superclamps. I am looking into the Dedo diffusion rounded scrim or the small Photoflex softbox for Dedo.

PS - do I understand correctly that you would ordinarily place your fill under the camera, if you could? //cn
    My fill is not exactly under the camera becuase of space issue.

Hey Chris, have you ever heard of Alan Weissman Film Noir photos?

It seems he is also shooting digital now. He uses large white reflectors for fill by bouncing hotlights. Here is the link:

http://www.alanweissman.com/

Hey Guy Catelli, good going, seems you are having fun. Don't joke about that kind of thing, it is politically incorrect. Here is my take of cheesecake taken yestersday . I really don't like and shoot cheesecake (or glamour whatever you call it) normally but the girl asked for it:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3126small.jpg  
    Last edited by singlo; 05-20-2007 at 09:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Chris,
    In your book, you mentioned about the offending cross shadows in some hollywood portraits. Well they may be considered as mistakes. Guess what Peter Lindbergh have done to actress Milla Jovoich in classic Hollywood style of mood in the currnet issue of Italian Vogue? He deliberately throws the rule out of the window and create five conflicting shadows on the background with fresnel spots as fill! I know it is HMI fresnel becuase he sometimes include the light in the photo.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin