Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,289   Online: 907

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3789101112131415 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Look out for BIG old hot lights, preferably from a studio going out of business: 300W focusing spots are good. I think I paid the equivalent of $150 for three. I've also used 800W Photon Beard focusing spots. And don't forget old slide projectors for a REALLY hard light.

Edit: 500 not 300: Mazda projector bulbs. Of course these are as nothing next to the really big 2K/5K lamps but they're still big old focusing spots.
    Last edited by Roger Hicks; 08-05-2007 at 12:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guy, I was wandering around in a shopping mall a few weeks ago and stopped into a "photo" store. This now consists of many digital cameras, printers, papers, etc. and a small shelf of film types, very small. There was a nondescript box on the floor at the front of the sore which said "SV" on it for $119.00 and looked interesting. My wife was kind enough to get it for a birthday gift for me.

It is a kit with two 250 watt photo flood sockets, bulbs, umbrellas, stands (6' & 8') and cords. I was amazed that it didn't say "digital lights" on it somewhere, but they really do work well and have a lot to offer for an entry level lighting kit. Take a look at S.V. for lighting kits as they are cheap and appear to be well made for the money. They offer a lot of different types and are readily available on the internet at really cheap prices. tim

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I've been using old Mole-Richardsons for years. A 412 lamped down to 1500 watt and a 4131 lamped at 1500. I also use a Lowel 650 watt Fren-l which is a very nice light and it almost pegs the light meter the same as the old Moles. Plus the 650 watt Fren-L is very light weight and portable. The 412 is a monster and raising the light stand can almost cause a hernia. But I just love the quality of light from these old fresnels. Watch ebay, they are on there all the time.

Shooter
    8x10 Format

which Arri fresnel lighting kit (if any)?

Quote Originally Posted by guy catelli View Post
    it seems that the next level up from shop lights is a $2000 to $3000 lighting kit from Arri. i don't mind spending that much money -- IF i wind up with something appropriate for classic Hollywood glamour lighting.

which (if any) of these kits would be appropriate for this application (220V no problem in my studio):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=&cltp=&clsgr=
    thanks for the responses so far. fwiw, does anyone have an answer to the question quoted above?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    this thread over at Model Mayhem has some interesting advice, especially as regards ETC Source 4 Par-NELs -- http://www.modelmayhem.com/p.php?thr...33&page=1#last

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    update. i learned from ETC's website -- http://www.etcconnect.com/home.asp -- that there's a dealer of their equipment in my neighborhood: http://www.balny.com/

unlike, say, B&H or Adorama, the sales person at Big Apple, Eva, took plenty of time to answer all of my questions (it wasn't as if there were a line of other customers anxious for me to finish).

interestingly, she strongly recommended the Altman Fresnel's instead. she explained that that as the ETC Source 4 PARNels (couldn't they have thought of a more awkward name?) go to the widest angle, a dark area starts to form in the center of the beam.

she went so far as to have the in-house crew set up one of each so as to demonstrate (can you imagine this happening at Adorama or B&H? -- chuckling). the upshot is that i was totally impressed in favor of the ETC's instead of the Altman's.

i'm not sure i could even see what the heck she was talking about regarding the dark spot in the center of the ETC beam at full wide angle. but what was totally obvious was that the ETC's beam was way whiter than the Altaman's, as well as way more evenly distributed.

so, right now the tentative plan is to get 3 PARNels, and the LEKO -- the LEKO so i can finally cast a 'venetian' blind shadow on the model (woot!).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Guy,

Slightly off topic, but another good place for continuous lighting in NYC is Barbizon on W55th.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Helen B View Post
    Guy,

Slightly off topic, but another good place for continuous lighting in NYC is Barbizon on W55th.

Best,
    Helen
    Helen, this thread is already an excellent resource that many people are following -- i'm sure some will find the reference to Barbizon useful.

btw, my lights -- 3 ETC Source-4 PARNels and an ETC LEKO -- arrived late this afternoon (the owner of Big Apple Lighting dropped them off himself -- at no additional charge).

i'll be setting them up over the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guy catelli View Post
    Helen, this thread is already an excellent resource that many people are following -- i'm sure some will find the reference to Barbizon useful.

btw, my lights -- 3 ETC Source-4 PARNels and an ETC LEKO -- arrived late this afternoon (the owner of Big Apple Lighting dropped them off himself -- at no additional charge).

i'll be setting them up over the weekend.
    Guy,

Glad you finally got your lights. It'd be great to see some of your results posted here, even if you're still in the testing phase. It would add to a thread that so far is pretty informative.

Good luck, be patient and have fun!

Best,

Christopher

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by singlo View Post
    Chris,
    In your book, you mentioned about the offending cross shadows in some hollywood portraits. Well they may be considered as mistakes. Guess what Peter Lindbergh have done to actress Milla Jovoich in classic Hollywood style of mood in the currnet issue of Italian Vogue? He deliberately throws the rule out of the window and create five conflicting shadows on the background with fresnel spots as fill! I know it is HMI fresnel becuase he sometimes include the light in the photo.
    Singlo,

Rules-schmules . . . when it comes to artistic expression, think like a Frenchman: the "rules" (and the law!*) are only suggestions!

Best,

Christopher

*Please.. no flames de mauvaise foi from les français(es) about this comment, given in a humorous spirit. You understand exactly what I mean. If you'd like to discuss it further, PM me for a rendez-vous. You name the meeting place in Paris, and you buy the wine! //cn
    Last edited by Christopher Nisperos; 08-20-2007 at 05:48 AM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin