Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,084   Online: 795

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    my inclination would be to err on the side of caution and NOT use strobe with a small child.

Scientifically, it is known that brightly flashing lights can induce seizures in some people with brain abnormalities. Until it is known whether a particular child is susceptible to this problem, I would think that caution would be appropriate.

But on top of that, direct strobe makes for the absolutely worst photographs (in my opinion), whereas the soft light from a nearby window is much more flattering and almost certain to not be harmful to the child.
    I'd certainly agree with your first and last paras, but as far as I am aware, it is only rhythmically flashing lights that cause the problems noted in the middle para, i.e. true stroboscopic lights, not plain electronic flash. Is this perhaps one origin of this story, a confusion of true strobes with the common (and entirely wrong) use?

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Hi Roger,

I generally agree. Nonetheless, there could be some information regarding this. For example, there might have been cases where strobes directly lead to a problem, or there could be visual stimuli experiements done on other animals, or there could simply be an understanding of the appropriate mechanisms such that one could make a reasonable prediction about possible problems/non-problems. Explanantions in science don't have to necessarily be inductive. They can be abductive as well.
    Dear Peter,

Sure, there could be, and as I say, I'd be very interested to see any authoritative studies. It's just that I suspect (cynic that I am) that there aren't any, and that this is folklore, not science.

Cheers,

Roger

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's also possible that the belief dates back to earlier forms of flash, and there might be some valid concern about the effect of, let's say, a No. 11 bulb going off five feet from a newborn (or from anyone else, for that matter). If nothing else it would be a good way to get the kid to start crying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My hope is to get some nice soft window light or open shade even, but natural light doesn't always co-operate. I think I will leave the strobes at home, it's just one less case to drag along anyway! Thanks for the advice/thoughts...
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not sure if anyone else noted it - but there are laws on filming infants that the motion picture industry must adhere to. And obviously they use lots of light making movies.

See the fourth story in this: http://www.rbcinvest.theglobeandmail...Health/5/5/13/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Does Anne Geddes use strobes?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Does Anne Geddes use strobes?
    With big softboxes, I'd guess.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the shock of discovering as an adult that you were a baby model in an Ann Geddes photograph would do far more lasting physical and psychological damage than a few strobe flashes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm going to come down with Roger on this one. The "better safe than sorry" position sounds good, but this seems to imply that we should only do something when we know that an infant couldn't be harmed by it. But that's way too strong. We do such thing all the time, such as drive infants in cars, take them on stroller rides... It's always possible that they could be harmed. What we have to do is think about levels of risk. Personally, I can't think of how a few strobe flashes could hurt an infant. In fact, people take flash pictures of infants all the time. I've personally done so, and I haven't seen any ill effects. That doesn't mean that there aren't possible negative effects, but in the absense of any indication that there are such effects, there's really no good reason not to do so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shot my daughter with a 2400 speedo pack and a medium bank on an 8x10, but turned it down a bit and it seemed just fine. She didn't mind or cry. she was 5 days old. Now she's 12 and just fine.Who knows?
    http://www.jamieyoungphoto.com/propeople%201.html
    middle b&w shot -3 sheets together.
    Do the hospital newborn photo services use flashes?
    I would be curious to see accurate information.

Jamie

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin