Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,247   Online: 1047

Shooter
    35mm

What is large size portrait

Some portrait photographers here said like: "I make only large prints in my portraits works".

I am new in portrait business so still a lot of problems. For now I am set for up to 20x24" prints. Frame for this print can be really large 29"x35", I THINK. The intent is to make portraits in my studio and in customers house too so it will get around head and shoulder and up to whole figure and even groups of people.

So what paper size one portraitist could consider as "large". This should revolve aruond something that is acceptible for dry wall (weight sake) house and to fit nicely into the same. In my mind are mostly 16x20 and 20x24" papers.

Thanks to anyone for your time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would consider 16x20 and 20x24 to be mid-sized. "Large" for my clients is more like 24x30 and up.

In my opinion, it's more important to consider the specific image and the specific space in which it is to be hung. A 16x20 on a very small wall would look big; a 30x40 on a massive wall would like small.

- CJ

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Cheril.
    As I know you use 4.5x6 negatives. Enlarging factor for, say, 30x40 is around 18.2 if you use your frame 100% (no crop). Do you have grain problem with customers, and how your Bronica lenses performs at that enlargement. I use 56x72 negatives most of the time with Mamiya and Rodenstock lenses. Just thinking to expand or not my max print set.

Thank you Cheril again. You are so good photographer.

www.Leica-R.com

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My three cents: How big can you sell? Bigger should equal more money to you and be more impressive as a presentation.

Years ago a portrait teacher said he often used to put up a really big print of a customer at an easel in the front room of his studio when the customer was coming in for an appointment to see the results of a session. The print, he would tell the customer, just looked so good he was using it to show other people how good a portrait he could do. It wasn't something the customer had ordered - just a really great shot. He said the customers would often buy the print. It was the equivalent of "spec work", i.e. speculative, but often worked.

Best,

C

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Some person hanging out near
    the I-35W bridge,
    Minneapolis

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel-OB View Post
    Thanks Cheril.
    As I know you use 4.5x6 negatives. Enlarging factor for, say, 30x40 is around 18.2 if you use your frame 100% (no crop). Do you have grain problem with customers, and how your Bronica lenses performs at that enlargement. I use 56x72 negatives most of the time with Mamiya and Rodenstock lenses. Just thinking to expand or not my max print set.

Thank you Cheril again. You are so good photographer.

www.Leica-R.com
    Hi Daniel,

Large prints are generally hung to be viewed from a greater distance, so while the finest grain is always desirable, it's not as critical in a very large print as you might think. Of course its all subjective, but you can get away with more. As St. Ansel used to say "hang the big print over the piano."

best,

J

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Largest portrait I ever made was a 36x72 inch color print of a young ballerina. The mother had it framed and mounted on a staircase wall at the entrance to the ballroom where they celebrated the girl's 16th birthday. I had shot it with a Rolleiflex TLR, and the girl was "life-size" in the photo. It really did look like she was standing there in the flesh, greeting you in a ballet pose.
    It was one of my best works.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel-OB View Post
    ..I am new in portrait business
    I am set for up to 20x24" prints...The intent is to make portraits in my studio and in customers house too so it will get around head and shoulder and up to whole figure and even groups of people.
    (apologies to Daniel for editing your post!/cn)

Hi Daniel,

Just curious as to what type of lighting you'll be using? Also, will you be using the same equipment and techniques in your studio as you will for the portraits you make on-location?

Best,

Christopher

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin