Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,870   Posts: 1,583,311   Online: 1132

Shooter
    Multi Format

"Universal" flash

Hello,

Which on camera flash would you recommend for using on different (manual, not TTL, that is without using SCA adapters) cameras with central contact only? I am looking for flash on which I can manually change flash output power (that is set aperture on lens and set flash indenpendently of lens). If there is one which set power on aperture marks, not marks like 1/8, 1/16, 1/64 of power would be nice, but not that important. Zoom head is not important, but can pass.

Thanks
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sunpak 383 or Vivitar 283 are the best, affordable (about 100$ in CDN) most powerful all-around flashes you can find. You can use them both on camera hotshoe and off-camera with a cord. They have manual (full, 1/2; 1/4; etc) and auto modes (range-based: 0.6 to 4m; 1m to 19m; etc).

The Sunpak 383 has a guide number of 130 (in feet @ 100 ISO), uses 4 AA batteries (get some lithium ones for max usage), and has both a tilt (90degs) and a swivel head (180deg). You can literally bounce the flash behind you, which is very useful in tight cramped spaces (although you would need a flash meter to help with proper exposure). Vivitar 283 has a little less movements, I think.

The Sunpak is still manufactured; the Vivitar was recently discontinued, but I've heard that the production has been restarted. They're pretty much the last non-TTL flashes left, and they're a must if you don't want to spend useless money to use them on pre-TTL cameras.

When I'm taking pictures at an event, I use the Sunpak at 45deg, auto 0.6m-4.5m range, with a diffuser on my Spotmatic. 50mm lens set between f5.6 and f8, 400 ISO film, hyperfocus, and I can do pretty much everything I need.

There is a battery pack for the Sunpak as well, which gives you amazingly quick recharge times, but it's a bit hard to come by. B&H sells it in the USA, I haven't seen it in Canada. No idea about continental Europe.
    Last edited by Michel Hardy-Vallée; 09-07-2007 at 06:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, it's Vivtar's 285HV that's been re-introduced. I have two. They're real workhorses.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Actually, it's Vivtar's 285HV that's been re-introduced. I have two. They're real workhorses.
    I have a twenty year old 285. It is excellent.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Or an old Metz 45, though that needs a PC nipple and a bracket. I lent/gave mine to a friend years ago, but as far as I know, she is still using it professionally, and it must be 25+ years old now.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Vivitar 285 that I bought new close to thirty years ago. I had to replace the foot a couple of years ago. That's the only repair I have made in thirty years of use.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I have a twenty year old 285. It is excellent.

Steve.
    Me too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Or an old Metz 45, though that needs a PC nipple and a bracket. I lent/gave mine to a friend years ago, but as far as I know, she is still using it professionally, and it must be 25+ years old now.
    If he goes with the 45 he needs either the older CT-3 or maybe one of the #1 models. The newer CL-3 I think has less control. Okay I'm sure it has less control I just don't remember how much less. I got to say the auto settings on the Metz are very good

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin