Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,715   Online: 811

Shooter
    Medium Format

difference between Gossen spotmaster 1 and 2

Hello,

What's the difference between the Gossen spotmaster 1 and 2?

Is there a reason to buy a spotmeter instead of a combi light meter like gossen starlite?

Regards,

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Decuyper Tom View Post
    Hello,

What's the difference between the Gossen spotmaster 1 and 2?

Is there a reason to buy a spotmeter instead of a combi light meter like gossen starlite?

Regards,

Tom
    Many people have no trouble with the combi's and prefer just one meter.

I like having my spot meter and incident meter to be separate devices for several reasons- when I have used combi meters I have occasionally metered with the incident meter, but left it in spot mode. If it is way off, I scratch my head for a second, and then figure out what I have done. If it happened to be pointed where it was in the ballpark of what's possible, my mistake can fool me. Of course it's not that hard to check, but its an easy enough goof if you are in a big hurry. (Job pressure, losing light, fleeting subject or situation, etc.) For me, its just one more thing to worry about, and that is something I don't need. The field of view on the combi I have used (not Gossen) was limited, and felt small compared to my Pentax, even though it had a zoom function. The other thing I like is having the redundancy of separate meters. They check each other quite happily with the assistance of my little grey card, and if one goes down, I'm quite able to use the other to meter an exposure. Also, my spot meter and incedent meter together cost less than a new combi meter. But, like I said, many persons are quite happy with a combi meter, these are just reasons why I personally carry them as separate meters.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have 5 of these, 1 2 and 4 1s. The only supposed difference is supposed to be a flash function. I photograph in existing light and can see no difference between them. The Zone function is great ( no clue that I am all B&W!!)..EC

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    The only supposed difference is supposed to be a flash function.
    Ok, so the 1 will read flash but the 2 won't? Interesting. I don't use much flash, but I did get a 1 recently and am glad it has that extra function!

Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    The Zone function is great ( no clue that I am all B&W!!)
    Ok, maybe I'm dense, but I can't for the life of me figure out how that function works. I even have a manual! Got any tips?

Ed

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin