Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,958   Online: 783

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    looks like I'll just have to start saving my pennies, and shooting more photo jobs to cobble together the scratch to get a Broncolor set.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinholemaster View Post
    Why not a big, powerful HMI light? Yes your subject must sit for 10 to 15 seconds, but everyone had to do that in the 19th century.

Don't forget to soften the light with a shoot through scrim.

Broncolor makes such nice stuff that I can't afford.
    In the interim, I can probably get a decent fluorescent set that will have more output - I saw a Bowens light unit that has a total of 270 watts of output that might do the job, and costs a fraction of what the Broncolor set runs.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Most wet platers are using banks of fluorescents. They claim to work better with the wet plate process . Check out the wet plate collodion forum. There are a lot of posts there and some really nice work being done with fluoro's. The color temp is right for wet plate, is how I understand it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    looks like I'll just have to start saving my pennies, and shooting more photo jobs to cobble together the scratch to get a Broncolor set.
    You can find the packs for little enough money.. at least the 3200ws packs - but the heads are BRUTALLY expensive. Personally - I'd recommend a 4800ws speedo kit. the pack will run you around $500-700 and the heads will be about $150 each up to 2400ws (maybe up to $300 for a 4800ws head). Whereas the bron heads will be $600-700 each for the cheapest ones... the high wattage heads will run you over $1000 each. This is all talking used, of course!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of old 6000 watt-second Broncolor powerpacks, which run off 220V. Put through the appropriate Broncolor hazylight/head, it's plenty of light for just about any project.

And I didn't pay that much for all of it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For wet plate I'd look at fluorescent too. However, in flash I've always been very happy with Elinchrom: I have some monoblocks for 'out and about' use, but when I need power in the studio or for a large interior on LF the packs have plenty. I use a little 1,000 Ws pack, three 4,000 Ws packs, and one of the very nice digital asymmetric 3,000 Ws packs, and doubt I'll ever need more light than that - and I can hire easily if I do.

Each of these packs will take up to three heads, so I have a lot of flexibility with this set up.

Two of the 4,000 Ws packs can be cabled into a single X8 head. The X8 isn't quite as near to being a point source as the X6 with its more cunningly folded twin tubes, but the X8 is still a small source (smaller than the Speedotron four tube head). This gives a lot of light from a small source, or a very bright softbox. Also, because the X6 is newer, you may find a used X8 head for not that much money.

If I was starting out and had no limits at all on my budget I'd look at Broncolor, Profoto, and Strobex as well as Elinchrom, but I'm not sure that I wouldn't end up choosing Elinchrom anyway: reliable, powerful, controllable and very good service. Excellent range of reflectors and heads, including third party heads by Bacht et al. (Though I would like a Strobex swimming pool...)

Peter

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You can also order Profotos without UV coated tubes. You might also check with other companies. Many times you can order heads with non-UV coated tubes, but they might not list it in the catalog. Just have a dealer check with the reps.

BTW, the primary reason for using fluorescent lights with the collodion is that they put out a lot of UV light and most people don't want to gamble buying high priced strobes (with non-UV coated tubes). Years ago, I got a non-UV coated head for my old Profoto 5. I used it for daguerreotypes. Based on a somewhat similar spectral sensitivity, it should work for collodion.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    For 125.00 you can get a Fotodiox bank that holds 16 30 watt spiral bulbs. It has a switch that will allows you to switch off half if you like. It has the same intensity of a 1800 watt fresnel. Plus you can buy the soft box that has an inner and outer baffle for it. I just bought three of them for wet plate. I'll let you know how they work out as soon as I get a chance to try them. I think I paid more for the bulbs than I did the light. The light is built surprisingly strong and the housing is metal. The soft box is 24 x24"....http://www.apug.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1189821474http://www.apug.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1189821888
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0044.jpg   DSCN0045_1.jpg   DSCN0046_1.jpg   DSCN0047.jpg  
    Last edited by RobertP; 09-14-2007 at 09:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Anyone besides me remember the old Ascor system where you could daisy chain umpteen capacitor banks & dump it through the single "Sunlight" head 96,000WS?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The UV that is required for wet plate makes the fluoro's so attractive. I compared my 1500 Mole- Richardson fresnels to the light output of the Fotodiox. And the light output is pretty close. The Moles may be a little more intense. But the fluorescents are so much cooler by leaps and bounds. So the advantage of moving them closer to the subject/model is a nice feature. I figure at this price it is not going to cost much to see the results using these banks even if I'm the guinea pig for it. I've risked a lot more for a lot less in my time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin