Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,904   Posts: 1,584,583   Online: 925

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Amongst the cornfields & rednecks of central Indiana
    They ain't that expensive...I shoot Hasselblad and use other Zeiss products...microscopes, sunglasses...etc.

Ya know, the SCA 390 is the cheapest part of my camera! He He...

Seriously, the SCA's may seem expensive, but the interchangability is great. I use 60s and 45s during the "main" shoot, then 40s for casual shooting and for keeping in my pack, and I'm gonna get 2 70s for sidelighting wirelessly (other than my Pocketwizards), but the adapter is the only piece that stays. Plus, when I get done paying 1000.00 for the 70s, all I gotta do is stick the "plain" hot shoe onto the strobes to use on my RB/RZ set.

Also, it's great when the other shooters working with you have Metz adapters too. Often, I "share" my strobes with them when their Sunpaks crap out during the shoot (common with 511, 522 and 611 units).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by docholliday

Even with TTL, I rarely use my 45/60s in TTL mode. Except when I have tubes on my hassy and a bunch of filters. The auto setttings work great.
    Interesting. I invariably use the "TTL" setting on the Hasselblad "ProFlash 4504" (a Metz 45/4... do I have that model right?... with a built-in sca adapter) for the Hasselblad 503Cx.
    I *love* this combo. Fill-in flash is easily controlled by setting the film speed dial on the side of the camera.
    One great application: Meter a sunset. Set the camera to the meter reading. Set the flash to auto TTL and place a model in the center of the frame - the area covered by the TTL sensor. Presto!! Both model AND sunset beautifully exposed.
    I don't know of another flash system, other than manually working all this out, that will work this way.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Amongst the cornfields & rednecks of central Indiana
    Yup, that'd be the metz 45 CT-4 with the SCA390 built-in. The TTL on Hasselblad is great. Except when you have a CX or CXI and you routinely use 800 or 1600 speed films. Try doing a -1 fill with that combo. That won't work. Therefore, I "keep" myself kept up on manually calcualations (remembering how to set the auto-computer on the flash) so I can do this quickly (such as during a wedding).

Otherwise, I'll use the TTL setting. I was in Martha's Vineyard this last week and did a few shots against the setting of West ____ (yeh, that lighthouse) while on the ferry coming back to the mainland. Of course, I was shooting with a 350CT* and a metz 40MZi-3 in 105mm mode...in TTL.

Later, I changed to NPZ for the drive up the Cape, which would have pushed the ISO dial beyond it's capability on my 503CXi. So, back to manual mode I went...meter for the background with the PME45, select the aperture, change the flash to be 1 number smaller...

Of course, this was Thursday, and the weather could have been a bit better...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin