Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,440   Online: 698

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole

How to do fill flash?

I rarely use a flash so I have never figured out how to control it well.

I have a 4-AA cell auto unit (don't remember the brand or rating) with tilt head. I usually just use auto on the flash & set the manual (film) camera accordingly.

Indoors with incandescent light, I assume the flash, used as above, will predominate and mostly reduce color temperature problems with color film.

I have a flash book SOMEwhere in the garage, but are there any quick & easy methods to try (ceiling bounce, fill, etc), that can be done with adjustments to f-stop only. The flash has no, well, I guess it DOES have two power ranges by virtue of having two distance ranges, but with auto, not much control.

Do I need to meter the subject when using alternatives like fill or bounce or just make an aperture adjustment?

I'm just looking for some basic ideas to try - and I'll keep my eye open for the book.

Thanks

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If it has an auto mode just try setting the F stop one stop larger then the camera setting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Murray,
    If you're using bounce, you can just leave the flash in auto & set the camera as recommended by the flash.
    Outdoors I've used an auto flash set to auto & it works OK sometimes. Depnds on the ambient light. As Nick suggested, if you can control the flash & set the out put lower, it's pretty easy you're just lying to the flash unit about how much light it needs to provide.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thank you
    Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It can be tricky getting good results from a flash that only has two settings, changing the ISO on the flashgun will help change the output. Maybe look for a secondhand Metz flashgun with a full aperture range.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I have a bigger Sunpak (?), about 100 W-S, but needs repair...or next one I buy won't be a fixer-upper.

Hey, it's only film, I"ll give it a try.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    It can be tricky getting good results from a flash that only has two settings, changing the ISO on the flashgun will help change the output. Maybe look for a secondhand Metz flashgun with a full aperture range.
    With most flash units changing the ISO only affects the calculator dial and suggested f-stop, not the actual output of the flash. If you have something like the Vivitar 285 it has variable output the Viv 283 has an accessory(VP-1) that plug in and replaces the auto sensor.

Murray your stored pm's need to be emptied.
    I can loan you a 283 & accessories to futz with. send me your address.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    murray,
    Best bet is a Metz 60CT1 with a mecamat, choose your fstop from the 10 or so options, nearly enough power to fry eggs, should you need it.

erie

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Erie - will it do bacon too?

John - I dumped some PM's. I'll PM you reasons not to loan me things & see what you think.

Thanks
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never done any scientific investigation of this issue, but my sense is that the better flashes (ones that might more likely be found in a wedding photographer's kit) seem to do automatic fill flash better. My Metz 60 series flashes work very well. My Olympus T32 does too. When I used one a long time ago, my Vivitar 283 did too. IIRC, my old Metz 202 worked well too.

In the past, I've seen the results obtained using simpler and cheaper units, and generally the results weren't as dependable.

It may be that some flashes' sensors and circuitry are designed with this in mind, well others are not.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin