Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,564   Posts: 1,545,310   Online: 869

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Why not switch to Metz 45 units?

They are a bit less powerfull.
    But only a bit (not even a whole stop), yet do not need that big, heavy, cumbersome, separate generator/battery pack, that you are tethered to, hanging off your shoulder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    find a mecamet, you'll be in heaven. I have one, and it's not for sale. 6 or 7 stops of adjustment in manual, same number of fstop choices. Well worth the the hunt (and price)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    On a practical note: you'll find more of them if you spell it "Mecamat".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Illustrating why I shouldn't post in the short time between classes!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    Why not switch to Metz 45 units?

They are a bit less powerfull.
    But only a bit (not even a whole stop), yet do not need that big, heavy, cumbersome, separate generator/battery pack, that you are tethered to, hanging off your shoulder.
    This post really illustrates how issues like this are a matter of taste. I prefer the 60 series flashes because of the over the shoulder battery pack.

By moving the battery and some of the related circuitry to the pack, the head itself is made lighter - something I used to appreciate after photographing a long wedding with flash mounted to my Mamiya C330 bracket.

Horses for courses, I guess .

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    I had a 45CT1 back in 77 and then later a 60CT2 and now a 60CT4. At first I went for the 60 because of the power (which you all know not much more) but I found out it's much less tiring carrying the 60 series because the flash unit is lighter although bigger. The extra power comes in handy only in term of faster recycling time as the flash still has significant charge left after each shot not so much in term of being able to shoot farther or with smaller aperture.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Metz 60 CT4 has full, 1/2,1/4,1/8/and 1/16 power on manual , but for indoor and studio work studio flash (strobe) I find is a much better option the output on some can be adjusted in 1/10 of a stop increments that also adjusts the modeling lights in proportion and to buy a four head outfit for around the same price as four 60 CT4 either mono-blocks or battery powered units.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Doyle's correct, except...

The 60 CT1 has been in the Metz line for a long time. Depending on how old the unit is, it may be configured to take one, two or three types of batteries:

1) a nicad battery;
    2) a dryfit battery (similar in many ways to a nicad, but with no problems with memory effect; and/or
    3) a lead acid cell.

I haven't seen or used a lead acid cell for decades, but both of the battery housings I have (one of which came with my 60 CT2 and the other of which came with my 60 CT1) have a 3 position switch in the battery compartment that allows you to set the type of battery you are using, and there is a spot on the switch for lead acid (marked "Pb").
    FYI, a Dryfit brand battery is actually a type of lead acid battery as to its chemistry and uses a thick gel instead of water. As such, it has similar (but not exactly the same) charging and discharging characteristics as a conventional lead acid battery.

Shooter
    35mm
    About battery replacement for the Metz 60....

I already have a Metz 60 power pack with a Li-Ion battery. I later bought a spare (no battery) for $2.50. Since it is only a back up, and I'm cheap, I didn't want to spend $80 for a new replacement battery. An SLA battery with the same voltage and capacity, only different in size, is only less than $10.

So I decided to mutilate the power pack to contain the $10 SLA battery. It's on the right in the photos below.

Last edited by bigspecbear; 03-31-2011 at 01:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    The Metz 60 CT4 has full, 1/2,1/4,1/8/and 1/16 power on manual ,
    I don't know about yours. But my Metz 60CT4 has variable power settings from full to 1/256 (that's 8 stop intervals), adjustable in 1/3 of a stop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin