Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,168   Online: 828

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "I already have a Metz 60 power pack with a Li-Ion battery. I later bought a spare (no battery) for $2.50. Since it is only a back up, and I'm cheap, I didn't want to spend $80 for a new replacement battery. An SLA battery with the same voltage and capacity, only different in size, is only less than $10." - Bigspecbear.

This is good to know. Thank you for the information. I had to eventually replace the battery and managed to get a dry fit cell from Metz U.K that has now lasted 3 years but it did cost £50 ( about $80). What about charging the SLA (standard lead acid?) battery, I assume with the Metz charger?,
    Regards
    John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I run my ct-1/2 pack with sla batteries - one internal, and two in an external pack that I connect via a frankenmod to a parallel the main battery.

I don't have the proper Metz charger. I have adapted an old 6V ac plug pack from an old desktop calculator to feed AC to the charger terminals, and figured out that it needs about 7.2VAC in to properly charge the SLA battery ( yes, the three position swiths is set to dryfit ). So I feed the plug pack from an autotransformer feeding at higher than 120V to pump 7.2 Vac out of what was meant to be a 6V pack.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by John Roberts View Post
    This is good to know. Thank you for the information. I had to eventually replace the battery and managed to get a dry fit cell from Metz U.K that has now lasted 3 years but it did cost £50 ( about $80). What about charging the SLA (standard lead acid?) battery, I assume with the Metz charger?,
    Yes, I charge the $10 SLA battery with the supplied Metz charger, with the lug set to "Dry-Fit." As stated, the $10 battery has the same chemical (SLA), voltage (6V), and capacity (4.5 Ah). The only difference is the dimension.

This is the battery I bought.

I bought the Li-Ion battery from here. If you're interested, you may want to drop them a message asking about shipping to where you are.

The Li-Ion is 1 lb lighter than its SLA counterpart, has more capacity. For what I can measure, recycle time is shorter (about 4.5 sec vs. 6.5 sec). I just have it for a few months so I can't tell about its longevity.
    Last edited by bigspecbear; 03-31-2011 at 02:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    BTW, SLA is Sealed Lead Acid.

Shooter
    35mm

Using SLA

Since the dimensions are larger for the SLA how do you use the supplied charger and how do you hook it up to the flash?

Shooter
    35mm

Capacity

Also, the two Metz batteries I have are 3.8Ah. Does that matter?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin