Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,598   Online: 1093

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Help please with Metz 60CT1

I have been given a complete Metz flashgun - head, battery pack c/w battery, charger and cables.
    It does not work at present, the widow of the previous owner tells me that it was working perfectly but was not used for a number of years. There was no documentation available for the unit
    How do I try to charge the battery?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John:

Here is a page on the Metz website that has lots of the manuals, including for the CT1.

Matt

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron...nuals.164.html

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The 60ct1 uses a nicad battery, nicads will often not take a charge if they are fully drained and left in that state for a long period. The charger port is on the battery holder on the opposite side from where the strobe plugs in. I looks to me to be a proprietary connection using a 120/7 volt AC transformer.

charger: Metz Typ728 part number 0000728
    battery: Metz NC-Akku 60-39 000060393

Doyle
    It is easier to gain enlightenment than to explain enlightenment.
    Supreme Master Ching Hai

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Doyle's correct, except...

The 60 CT1 has been in the Metz line for a long time. Depending on how old the unit is, it may be configured to take one, two or three types of batteries:

1) a nicad battery;
    2) a dryfit battery (similar in many ways to a nicad, but with no problems with memory effect; and/or
    3) a lead acid cell.

I haven't seen or used a lead acid cell for decades, but both of the battery housings I have (one of which came with my 60 CT2 and the other of which came with my 60 CT1) have a 3 position switch in the battery compartment that allows you to set the type of battery you are using, and there is a spot on the switch for lead acid (marked "Pb").

Each type of battery will respond differently to lack of use, but it certainly isn't good for any of them.

The flashes are great - they are powerful, flexible and accurate, they recycle quickly and they give a lot of flashes on a charge, but the batteries are neither light, nor cheap.

If you are buying a new one, I like the dryfit batteries best. I believe that the part number referred to by Doyle is the Nicad version.

This link is to the Metz website page listing current accessories for the flash:

http://www.metz.de/en/photo_electron...er.144-89.html

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Doyle Thomas View Post
    The 60ct1 uses a nicad battery, nicads will often not take a charge if they are fully drained and left in that state for a long period. The charger port is on the battery holder on the opposite side from where the strobe plugs in. I looks to me to be a proprietary connection using a 120/7 volt AC transformer.

charger: Metz Typ728 part number 0000728
    battery: Metz NC-Akku 60-39 000060393

Doyle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thankyou both for your replies.
    Matt, the switch in the battery housing is set to the NC position so I assume that it is a NiCad battery fitted. I cleaned the contacts on both battery housing and battery and after packing the base of the housing (I not that there is a screw missing that goes through the base to lift the battery into position) put the unit on charge. After a few minutes a green diode lit where the charger connects. After a night charging a red light also appeared.
    Doyle has said that the strobe head connects on the opposite side of the battery unit to the charger and I tried this to find that when the unit was switched on then a red diode on the top flashed and a red light on the back of the strobe lit. Testing the head was successful!!!!

Thankyou both for the information and the links. I will use these to establish how to use the 60CT, if I have problems I will post again.
    Really appreciated the help,
    Regards,
    John.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Dryfits like to stay chrarged

I am presuming that it is a dryfit you have. The metz accumulator has circuitry to prevent the cell from being over charged. The dryfit is a gelled electrolyte version of a car battery. If not kept charged, the sulfur will drop out of the sulfuric acid solution, and the battery will begin to 'bulge' - walls will no longer be straight. I charge my CT1 after every time that I give it a good workout, even if it is still recycling promptly.

In Canada a new dryfit goes for about $65, plus shipping if it must be mailed to you, so look after the battery. With care they in professional (heavy) use usually are considered to last a few years; with regular charging you should be able to keep a new one ticking longer than that.

Flash that have not been used for a while often need to let the capacitor 're-form'. Just turn the flash on, but don't fire it for the first half hour or so. This will let the paste electrolyte in the unit to get itself back in an energized configuration before the unit is discherged. This will prevent premture capacitor failure due to internal arc over.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilde View Post
    I am presuming that it is a dryfit you have. The metz accumulator has circuitry to prevent the cell from being over charged. The dryfit is a gelled electrolyte version of a car battery. If not kept charged, the sulfur will drop out of the sulfuric acid solution, and the battery will begin to 'bulge' - walls will no longer be straight. I charge my CT1 after every time that I give it a good workout, even if it is still recycling promptly.

In Canada a new dryfit goes for about $65, plus shipping if it must be mailed to you, so look after the battery. With care they in professional (heavy) use usually are considered to last a few years; with regular charging you should be able to keep a new one ticking longer than that.

Flash that have not been used for a while often need to let the capacitor 're-form'. Just turn the flash on, but don't fire it for the first half hour or so. This will let the paste electrolyte in the unit to get itself back in an energized configuration before the unit is discherged. This will prevent premture capacitor failure due to internal arc over.
    Hi Mike,
    Thankyou for the advice and information, it has been noted.
    The unit is working fine at present but I will bear your comments in mind when it needs a new battery.
    Again many thanks,
    Regards,
    John

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Sorry to revive old post, but for future reference the battery can be had fairly cheaply in Germany, perhaps elsewhere in case the Sonnenschein brand is sold elsewhere:

http://server2.gs-shop.de/200/cgi-bi...ite=detail.htm

SONNENSCHEIN dryfit Batterie 6V/4,2Ah 0789539000 A506/4,2K for Metz 60CT-1/2

Top view of contacts: http://www.batterie-ecke.de/img/a506-4,2k_k.jpg

I am using one in my CT-1

Update: try Lauderdale Battery & Alternator http://www.sonnenschein.org/A500.htm You want type A506/4,2K (note there is also A506/4,2S)
    Last edited by Dirk-san; 10-07-2009 at 07:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And be careful John, I have one of these,and with a guide number of 60 meters It's so powerfull the flash will almost strip wallpaper.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, John;

BenjiBoy may have something there. I use four (4) 60 CT-1 flash units for portrait photography. I have noticed that all of the sittings in recent times have been done with the people insisting that, yes, they normally do wear high altitude glacier type sun glasses.

"News Flash!" In looking through the manual, I do see that there is a way to have the internal electronics cut the power back by five (5) stops. This might even help with the number of people asking me why I am testing low yield thermo-unclear devices while taking photographs.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin