Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,189   Online: 867

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

What flash meter for an semi-old fart?

Ok, I'm getting a little studio back up and running here in a month or so, and I will be going back to the packs. I haven't had had a flash meter in a long time. My cine meters have gotten me by outside, the interior film projects I have lit tungsten using OPM, and most of the other stuff I've done inside was D-younowat, so I've got by there with the in camera metering. I'm not going to use it as a meter. The day is coming where I will never have to pick up the damn thing again .

I don't like combi meters. I like simple. Old is fine, new is fine.

I'll be looking mostly for an incident meter, but I wouldn't mind hearing about spots as well.

What do you use? What do you like about it? What sucks?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hell, I haven't used a flash in years but when I did use flash a lot, I used a Minolta meter. IIIF? IVF? I don't remember the model but any of the Minolta meters were considered really good back back in the last century.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    First choice: Minolta.

Second: Sekonic.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've been using a Minolta Flashmeter III for years. Haven't found any reason to upgrade to a newer meter, which would only add features that aren't really necessary (averaging, memory, etc.).
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Gossen Profisix with a flash meter attachment. It works great, and I can leave the flash meter with the flashes.

In the USA, I think it is called a Luna Pro SBC.

If I were to buy new, I'd probably look long and hard at a Gossen digiflash, because I like the size.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Beano Brand-semiflash-orama - for semi-old farts

Sekonic for those who won't admit it..
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Sekonic L-358 and it is accurate & easy to use.
    The Minoltas are also good.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For incident/reflected only, the Sekonic 308/328. It will of course also do non-flash, but this is a good thing, because when used with a PC sync cord, it will compensate for the mix of ambient and strobe light together. If you want spot in addition, look for a used Sekonic 408. It has a 5 degree spot as well as incident and reflected metering. Another good used option is a Minolta Spotmeter F. It is a dedicated 1-degree spot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My preference is for an older Gossen, the Ascor II, generally found cheaply on ebay, though I've lost a few due to somebody really wanting one. It just works, simple as pie. I have a Multipro and have had an ultrapro, and numerous Minolta's, yet in a studio environment, I fall back to the Ascor.

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A 358 if you're REALLY sure you don't want spot. The 558 if you do. Used prices on the 358 seem high to me. Not much point paying 90+% of new for a used meter. The 558 is so new that finding used would be tough.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin