Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,830   Online: 851

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Canon 1V, Pocket Wizards, and a Vivitar 285

I asked this over on photo.net but didn't really get any useful responses ("turn off the E-TTL on the flash"). I'm guessing not many in the Canon forum over there actually use 1V's anymore...

I was playing around with my 1V, Vivitar 285HV, and Pocket Wizards last night. This is the first time I've played with this setup. I have experimented some with the 285 + 1V, but never the PW's. Anyway, I noticed every time I took a photo, the flash was triggered twice, once during the exposure and once right after it. I could see the 2nd flash through the viewfinder, so it's right after the mirror goes up. If I take the PW's out of the equation and leave everything set exactly the same, except for mounting the 285 on the 1V, the flash only fires once, as expected.

On my other camera (M6) the PW only fires the flash once, so it's probably not the PW's, but the 1V.

What gives? Anybody no why the 1V is triggering twice the PW's twice, but not the flash? How do I fix it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try using a PC sync cord instead of the hot shoe on your 1v, and make sure you're in manual mode not shutter or aperture priority mode.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'll do that. I was in manual mode for sure, but if I only get one flash with PC socket, I guess it's something with the hotshoe. Though I'd ultimately like to use it with the PW in the hotshoe...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the lv has the Canon 5 contact setup try covering all but the central contact with electrical tape just on the off chance it may be something hinky with the shoe.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Alright. Update. I tried it with the PW attached via the PC socket and get the same thing. Two flashes for every shutter release. One during the exposure and one right after it.

As far as the contacts, the 1V does have multiple contacts, but since the PW only has a center pin and there is no physical connection to the other pins, can't see how that would help. Regardless, it does it through the PC socket, so its not a hotshoe problem, but presumably a 1V problem. The thing that confuses me is that the 285HV mounted directly on the camera doesn't exhibit this behavior...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sorry to dig this back up again, but was wondering if anybody had any more insight.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    Sorry to dig this back up again, but was wondering if anybody had any more insight.
    Tim, let me see if I have the scenario right.

If you put the flash ON the shoe, it fires just fine.

If you put the PW transmitter (transceiver if you're wealthy) in the shoe and use the receiver to trigger the flash, you get a double flash.

If you trigger the PW transmitter from the PC synch and use the receiver to trigger the flash, you also get a double flash?

Let's start eliminating things:

Do your PW's work fine on other cameras?
    If you use a PC-to-Viv cable to fire the Viv off-camera does it only gives 1 flash?
    Have you done (I would presume so) a test to make sure that if no camera is hooked up you still only get 1 flash by using the test button on the transmitter?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    > If you put the flash ON the shoe, it fires just fine.

Yes

>If you put the PW transmitter (transceiver if you're wealthy) in the shoe and use the receiver to trigger the flash, you get a double flash.

Yes. They are the PW Plus II's - and no I'm not wealthy

> If you trigger the PW transmitter from the PC synch and use the receiver to trigger the flash, you also get a double flash?

Yes

>Do your PW's work fine on other cameras?

Seems to work as expected on my Leica and my Canon Digital Rebel.

> If you use a PC-to-Viv cable to fire the Viv off-camera does it only gives 1 flash?

This I haven't tried. I'll try it tonight.

>Have you done (I would presume so) a test to make sure that if no camera is hooked up you still only get 1 flash by using the test button on the transmitter?

Yes, this works as expected. It really seems to be a 1V problem...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ok, I tried the Viv flash connected to the 1V with the PC-viv cable and that worked fine too. The only 2 combinations that are funny are Canon 1V + PW + flash, and the PW are triggered either from the hot shoe or PC. The flash works fine hardwired directly to the camera, and the PW's and flash work fine with other cameras, including a canon dslr.

I also wrote Canon. They said it was PW. Thanks guys. I then wrote PW. They said some cameras deliver 2 sync pulses, one with the shutter opening and one with it closing. I don't see why this wouldn't trigger the flash when it was hard wired then...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    Ok, I tried the Viv flash connected to the 1V with the PC-viv cable and that worked fine too. The only 2 combinations that are funny are Canon 1V + PW + flash, and the PW are triggered either from the hot shoe or PC. The flash works fine hardwired directly to the camera, and the PW's and flash work fine with other cameras, including a canon dslr.

I also wrote Canon. They said it was PW. Thanks guys. I then wrote PW. They said some cameras deliver 2 sync pulses, one with the shutter opening and one with it closing. I don't see why this wouldn't trigger the flash when it was hard wired then...
    Wacky.

Ok, seems like the next logical step would be to get your hands on another camera (same model, etc) and try your PW's and flash on that camera.

Barring that, maybe you can hook a voltmeter to your shoe or pc socket and see if it really IS throwing two sync pulses? That kinda makes sense since Im assuming your camera has a rear sync option on it so maybe theyre throwing both pulses and only using the one they need?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin