Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,481   Posts: 1,571,145   Online: 1160

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    But you must always meter at a shutter speed that synchs flash with your camera, usually 1/125 ( or 1/60 or 1/250 depending on make) (assuming a focal plane shutter)
    Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Meter scene using flash sync speed of your camera and set flash one to two stop faster than your lens. For example, your camera have sync speed of 1/60, and you use ISO 100 film. So, you meter needed aperture for your 100 ISO film and shutter speed of 1/60. And for example, you get f11. So, you set your lens to f11, and you set your flash to f8 or f5,6 (you "tell" that is you "lie" to your flash as you set lens on those openings, but in fact you set lens to f11). That is the way if you have flash with manual setting. If you can not set your flash, that is if flash is automatic, or allways fire full power, you can move flash away from subject, or place something over flash head, like white tissue or "milky white" plastic,which will lesser flash power. For example, StoFen plastic diffuser reduce flash power by 1,5 stops, and diffuse flash light, so flash light is not that harsh as without diffuser.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you have an auto setting on your flash (not TTL), this is what I do (film):

1. Check flash unit auto settings f stops, choose.
    2. Set camera to 1.5 stops closed from chosen f stop AND then set shutter for ambient light.
    3. Shoot, if it is a fill flash situation.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Incident light meter.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try this page - it helped me

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/fill.html

Shooter
    35mm

Fill Flash a little OT

While in the service I was not in the Photo section.
    A semi was involved in an accident and had a problem with one of the wheels of the trailer.
    An official base photographer came out with the 4x5 Graphic the side flash with the 7" reflector and inserted what looked like a #22 bulb. It was a bright Sunny day but there was a slight shade under the trailer. He was about 4' away when he took the picture. I don't think he was using color as it was 1954 and the film might have been Super XX or something like that. I can only imagine the density of the negative and how long it took to print it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin