Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,653   Online: 647

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Spot Meter

Shooter
    Large Format
    While I use the modified Pentax digital, I found it interesting that Edward Weston did not favor or use a meter of any sort. In fact the image "Church Door at Hornitos" would have been underexposed by 5 stops had he relied on a meter.

I have been strongly considering moving to a more intuitive use of materials with my increased emphasis on contact printing. Using what Fred Picker called his "key day" method of determining exposure. In bright (hard shadow) lighting one arrives at a exposure based upon the film and developer, on bright hazy lighting open up one stop, on light overcast open up a stop, and on heavy overcast open up still another stop. In early morning or late evening light open up at least one and one half stops from one's key day exposure. This procedure would probably work best when developing by inspection so that the contrast is monitored at the developing stage.

I think that if I have the courage of my convictions, it will improve my ability to see my images better, by getting the technical side of matters down to size.

Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently got myslef the Minolta Autometer Vf with separate 5 degree attachment. It works fine, quite accurate. It will measure flash, ambient and a mix of both. A tad pricey but....it thinks it's still good value.

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I second the intuitive metering suggestion. I've been occassionally going meterless just so I can learn more. Part of it is the appeal of being able to work without a meter if need be, and part is learning about how they used to do things and how the materials work.

Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Edward Weston did not favor light meters, but developed by inspection, using the same materials day in and day out. The comment about his church photograph being saved by not metering does not make sense.

Fred Picker said many things; some made sense, while others did not. I loved him dearly as a friend, but many comments he made, especially later in life, were not supported by fact. The truth is, his own work was not that consistently good.

A good light meter is a good thing.
    Steven

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A good light meter is a good thing.

I prefer to take a light reading and let the film do its work. Edward Weston was one of the greats (read as Gods) of photography. Now I will admit to using the "sunny 16" rule but only after making sure it is the thing to use. So, I agree with the statement above. One of the other posters said he has started to go meterless so he can learn more. I ask what is there to learn when you blow the shot because the meter is at home. Bracket? Well, I guess but maybe you are so far off that even 2 each side of your decision could result in NO exposures. Take the meter your film will thank you.

lee\c

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin