Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,386   Online: 1052

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Its just lead and sulfuric acid

actually it is not as nasty as you think. there things are only sparingly wet when new - known as a starved electrolyte - and as they age and die off they go almost completely dry. I used a hand powered hack saw, and a deft application of force with a chisel to get the top off.

Then put on the apron and rubber kitchen gloves to keep clothes from getting holes, and fingers from stinging.

After that the guts pull out, one, two three cells, and into a zip lock freezer bag. It goes off to the HHW depot, along with sundry dead alkaline batteries, the spent fixers, old toners, pooped c41 bleach and saturated ra4 blix the next time I make the run.

Make a slurry of baking soda, and scrub it around with an old tooth brush to neutralize dried acid. Rinse with water - now you are dealing with an inert piece of plastic.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Brilliant! I'll have to start trolling for dead batteries so that I can make adaptors for each of my packs. This seems so much more secure than alligator clips hanging off the little contacts inside the pack. And this way I could bring the leads right back to whatever alternate power source I end up using.

Thanks Mike!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll revive this old thread with my experience.

I picked up a Metz 60 CT-1. The original battery was included, but dead and could not be revived. Looking online, I found a few options including using LiPo batteries (with separate charger). But since the condition of the flash itself was unknown, I didn't want to buy a LiPo battery and charger.

So I took the cheap route. I bought an inexpensive 6v 4.5ah SLA battery that approximates the power of the original Metz battery. Rather than cut the power supply case as some did, I built a simple adapter that connects to the contacts in the power supply with leads that attached to the new battery. This does impact portability. However I can still use the original Metz charger.

Right off the bat, I'm seeing 8 sec recycle time under full power. That's slightly longer than the 6 sec "spec". We'll see if that improves a bit as the capacitor gets exercised.

But overall, I'm pleased. A $6 battery, some scrap wood and wire, and this excellent flash is resurrected.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had to smile when I saw your link. I have clear memories of carefully topping up the cels in the lead-acid batteries used in the old Metz 202 and 402 flashes.

The link is to a sealed battery, but otherwise, "what comes around goes around".
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These AGM batteries have their benefits, but weight isn't one of them. This one is 6v, 4.5ah at a weight of 1.75 lb. LiPo battery (like in a RC car) would probably save 1 lb and give me a bit more capacity. But as I don't plan to carry the power supply while using the flash, weight isn't critical.

A pretty cost effective way to get 100s of flashes with a GN of about 200 (iso 100, feet). And easy to increase capacity with a larger battery or a 2nd one.

Well, it's pretty old technology - though I prefer "mature". These
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It seems, from my search on the web, that the genuine Sonnenshein A506 can be found thru web sources for $10-20.
    And, the Power-Sonic PS-640 is the equivalent battery, and these can be found for $5-15

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltw View Post
    It seems, from my search on the web, that the genuine Sonnenshein A506 can be found thru web sources for $10-20.
    And, the Power-Sonic PS-640 is the equivalent battery, and these can be found for $5-15
    The terminals on and dimensions of the versions of the Sonnenshein A506 that fit the Metz flashes seem to only be found in one type of that battery, and that type seems to be a lot more expensive.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The PS-640, which is what I used, is equivalent in voltage and amp hour rating but does not fit inside the power supply battery compartment. That's why I wired it externally.

The Sonnenschein A506/4.2k is reported to be a drop-in replacement for the original Metz battery (except it doesn't have the "ridge" to prevent insertion the wrong way). I could not find a source for less than about $55-60 shipped. If you know of one, let me know as it's a better solution.

FYI, when you do a search, a lot of batteries come up as direct replacements for the Sonnenschein A506/4.2k. But when you look at the specs, you find (as Matt said) the dimensions are off and the terminals are different.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    FYI, when you do a search, a lot of batteries come up as direct replacements for the Sonnenschein A506/4.2k. But when you look at the specs, you find (as Matt said) the dimensions are off and the terminals are different.
    How unfortunate! For my Quantum Turbo (original) and Quantum 2, the Powersonic was an exact physical match to the original Sonnenshein, although the Powersonic had more electrical capacity (MAh) than the original.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How unfortunate! For my Quantum Turbo (original) and Quantum 2, the Powersonic was an exact physical match to the original Sonnenshein, although the Powersonic had more electrical capacity (MAh) than the original.

The Power-sonic 832 is supposed to be a drop in replacement for the original Quantum 2 battery. I'll know for sure in a week or so - I have one ordered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin