Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,289   Online: 1044

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frotog View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion Erie. Of course by using alligator clips to grab the contacts in the battery pack I would not be modifying anything in the pack itself so using the stock battery is still an option. I'm not sure if Sears carries 6volt batteries but in any case I'll definitely want a sealed lead, deep-cycle battery and not a traditional cold-cranking starter battery. Anyone else?
    I actually did that with my 285HV speedlites, using a 7.2v SLA Deep Cycle wheelchair battery from eBay. For your purposes, a couple in parallel would work quite well. I actually drilled small holes in the battery cover of my flashes, and wired up dummy batteries, and used RCA connectors hooked up to the batteries. Was a pretty slick setup.

You could also do Lithium or NiMH battery packs, if you want to save weight. I considered doing something similar to old MTB head lights-- a NiMH battery pack mounted in a bike water bottle, and then clamping a water bottle cage to my light stands. Never got around to it, though, as I don't do product photography much anymore.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    The Power-sonic 832 is supposed to be a drop in replacement for the original Quantum 2 battery. I'll know for sure in a week or so - I have one ordered.
    I already know it is...I have replaced the batteries in my Quantum 2, as well as in two Quantum Turbos, using the Powersonic 832.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As a long time Metz 60 user I've grappled with battery issues for years but I've never tried the Lithium batts which might be the best option. https://www.flickr.com/groups/421691...7612486080070/ discusses the Lithium batts and they seem to recycle faster than the Sonnensheins.

The last 2 new Sonnensheins that I bought from an Australian distributer performed WORSE than my old batteries with only about (approx.) 3/4 of the capacity. Maybe they where stored too long before I got them, I don't know, but I will never buy Sonnensheins again.

For MANY years I've used external 6 volt 12AH gel batts attached with fly leads on 2 of the 5 Metz 60's that I regularly use. These have much greater capacity and are extremely cheap to replace but are quite heavy (although this doesn't matter much in my line of work, and some times the weight is an advantage). The fly leads that I use are shielded well to avoid shorts and are heavy duty. Over approx. 5 years of use they have never been a problem, have never developed a poor contact, shorted or come loose.

One disadvantage that I've noticed with some batteries is that their internal resistance might be slightly higher so the recycle times can be a little slower, enough to matter anyway. My external batts take approx. 2 secs longer to recycle at full power. The Sonnensheins seem to recycle faster, but they are still not worth the money IMHO. If I ever have to replace them I will go all Lithium.
    Last edited by jjphoto; 03-01-2014 at 05:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would guess that the issue with your Sonnensheins was, as you suggested, that they sat too long on the shelf without being charged. From what I've read, the design life for SLA batteries is much longer when used with a float charger.

Here's an example of a DIY LiPo conversion: http://andycaus.wordpress.com/2013/0...po-conversion/ With LiPo batteries, you can specify discharge rate. But it might be best (for the life of the flash) to keep the discharge rate within the SLA spec.

In the end, a lot depends on how you plan to use the flash. LiPo batteries might be best for infrequent use or if you walk around with the power pack. But if, like me, you're planning to use this as a portable monolight for amateur use, it's tough to beat the inexpensive SLA batteries.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you choose to use an old battery case, an alternative would be an old Metz 402 Nicad case, as these are the same shape and you can easily take them apart.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin