Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,300   Online: 1207

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, I can tell you what it does on my ancient Pentax/Honeywell.

The small cell handles normal, daylight scenes.

The 9v kicks in when you press the low-light button. In fact mine runs fine in daylight with the 9v removed. The 9v is just there for low-light use.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sucks! I guess I have to find one of the round cells then. There has to be a better alternative.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm looking to buy a good spotmeter and can't getover some of the prices! I had no idea they were so pricey
    gossen ultra spot- around $800
    zone VI modified spot - $500+
    minolta spot - $400+

ouch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm not sure what the conversion rate is to New Zealand $$$, but you can purchase a Minolta Spotmeter F like silverpixel's from KEH.com used for ~275$US. Ahh, now if I only had 275...

I just can't seem to justify a $500 spotmeter when my entire LF set-up was under $350 including tripod... though I still need to get a better head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    the exchange rate is pretty bad, that 275 would almost double + shipping. Guess I'll just do that though, get a used one.

How about the no-name meter sold by Adorama? I think it's only about $200 new. With a used meter I always wonder if it'll need to be adjusted.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    > snip < When I belonged to the camera club in texas, I went out to photograph with a member who was a PhD in Chemistry. When we got back to the darkroom to develop the film, he was trying to control the temperature to 1/4 of a degree.....I laughed and he never went out with me again......
    That was NOT me! But I know some people like that too.

My main meter is the Minolta Spotmeter F. I have found it to be as acurate as I need for most purposes. I still use the old Gossen Luna Pro, like yesterday when photographing a bird nest with my Contarex and color print film. I use the spot meter for practically all b&w "zone system" work, which dominates most of my present efforts.

My spot meter is a little flucky in the flash meter mode. Sometimes several attempts are required before I am satisfied that I have proper readings. Maybe someone could help diagnose my technique?

Truly, dr bob.

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The meter I use currently is an old Soligor Spot sensor II. I one I owned previously did a swan dive out my pocket, and bounced down the back steps, into an unrepairable mess.

I happened upon another, identicle for $50.00 in a local shop. It seemed to work fine so I took a chance. I then sent it into Zone VI for modification, when Fred was still around. That was back in 1988 and I have been using it ever since for color and B&W.

If I were to buy a new one, it would be the industry standard Pentax "D" word.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I have a working and a corroded analog 1/21 Honeywell Pentax Spotmeter.

The Big Button cell was a 1.3 V 640 mercury cell. There is now a 640A or A640 alkaline replacement which is 1.5 V. Some people say that screws up the calibration.

Someday I am going to do some 'spot checks', for lack of a better term, with a power supply at 1.3 and 1.5 & see what it really does.

I have a lab photometer with an 8 degree sensor that matches CIE curve within 2% & I've already seen significant differences between it and one of the
    Pentax'es, with a 1.5 V alkaline battery...I do NOT have any fancy light sources, so I'm going to just change my distance from an illuminated 18% grey card (because it sounds like a good thing to measure off).

I note the spectral response in the manual for the Pentax Spotmeter is kind of lumpy compared to the CIE curve, so that probably contributes to differences a little too.

Some people have played around with reducing the output from a 1.5 V 640A to make it look closer to a 1.3 V battery. I don't know how that works out.

I don't know when I'm going to get to do the meter comparisons. It's at the top of my list, but unfortunately so is everything else, so nothing gets done!

Murray
    Murray

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin