Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,756   Online: 836

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Light Meters

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Graham;

The Gossen Lunasix is one of the meters I use also. I still find it to be good. I also have a Weston Master II and a Master V with the "Invercone" incident light reading attachment. I find the incident light metering function to be very useful.

The Gossen Luna-Pro F would be an asset if you get into a lot of flash photography.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham.b View Post
    I have done a search and there is a number of results to this with many different uses, so could some one make it a bit more lay mans terms.
    I very rarely do flash/photo. It is one of those one off times. So the next time it will be used......well i do not know. I get the call do a sitting for us.

Any way i have sorted down to a, Gossen Lunasix, pro six, and Sekonic 308s.
    To be used as said to do sittings, to read ambi light, i do like natural like, but sometimes a little fill can help.

Regards

Graham
    What is wrong with the cheap, reliable, simple, non-plasticky, time-tested, practically unchanged in 50 years, non-battery dependent Sekonic Studio meter? You can figure your flash fill using experience and guide numbers just as quickly and accurately as you can take a flash reading (and far more conveniently). IMO, if you want a flash meter, get a FLASH METER like the Minolta, that only has one gizmo to worry about: the EI. If needed, use it alongside your ambient meter, instead of messing with buttons, menus, etc. on a one-thing-does-all overpriced plastic thingy.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 01-10-2009 at 08:10 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

T42

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Forum.

I have used Sekonic Studio Master, Gossen Luna Pro, and Weston Master II for incident/reflective, and gray card readings. They are all good for that. More recently, I have used a Sekonic L-308B for several years for reflected and incident ambient lighting and flash illumination measurement. It's a splendid little meter, pocketable, and runs on a common AA cell. Sensitive, and has no memory problems like CdS. The multifunctional control is not in the least confusing. I recommend it highly. I'm sure that its descendent, the L-308S is as good if not even better.

Happy day.

Henry Fisher in Atlanta
    Last edited by T42; 01-31-2009 at 10:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammar, add a thought...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out the Gossen Digipro F http://www.gossen-photo.de/pdf/flyer_digipro_e.pdf I got one about a year ago and am very pleased with it, and the flash function tells you what proportion of the light reading is ambient, and how much is flash.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 02-02-2009 at 10:31 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have been using a Minolta Flashmeter IV for the past 20 years and I love it.
    In addition to it I have the 5 degree spot att and the mini-probe for places where I can not put the meter for reading.
    A great combo, that uses one AA battery.

What ever you will buy check out which battery it uses: AA, AAA and 9V block are OK, the rest can be a problem in the future.

Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    The disk is used to measure the consistency of light over a flat area to make sure your lighting will be even ie:comparing corner to center evenness.
    The disk is actually originally intended to meter light striking a piece of flat art, for reproduction.

It evolved in its use, to measure light from one light vs. the other for ratio set up, or to measure consistency across an area.

Shooter
    35mm
    I used only Minolta meter and I have used Flashmeter II, Flashmeter III, Spotmeter M and Flashmeter VI. I think the Sekonic 308 can measure flash so it's an advantage if you need it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Luna Six for me. When I was a teenager [1970's], I used to look in the cabinets at the camera stores and wish that I could own one. Now I have two. They work perfectly for me. I use B&W almost all the time, and approximate exposures are often good enough. Now moving more and more to Sunny f/11 Rule.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin