Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,694   Posts: 1,549,016   Online: 889

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Light Meters

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Light Meters

I have done a search and there is a number of results to this with many different uses, so could some one make it a bit more lay mans terms.
    I very rarely do flash/photo. It is one of those one off times. So the next time it will be used......well i do not know. I get the call do a sitting for us.

Any way i have sorted down to a, Gossen Lunasix, pro six, and Sekonic 308s.
    To be used as said to do sittings, to read ambi light, i do like natural like, but sometimes a little fill can help.

Regards

Graham

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    All a light meter can do is give various settings allowing us to interpret any given light falling on a subject or reflection off a subject as 18% gray. All modern light meters do that. Look for a meter that best suits your needs, and works with the way you think, not against.

Just as no one camera can do it all, various light meters are compromises. See if you can try these meters in a camera store before using to make sure there are no features that bug you.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although it's very simple (only one button to push) the VCII has worked for me really, really well.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Gossen Luna-Pro F will see you through most every light measuring situation including multiple pop situations if you ever plan to shoot large format with strobes. One of the last great analog light meters!
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm in a similar boat. Looking for a meter with ambient and flash capabilities. for me, it is between the sekonic l-358 or the l-308S. any opinions?

btw, still trying to find the difference between the l-308 and l-308s...

EDIT: there is no l-308. there is the older model of the 308s which is the 308B (AKA, L-308B II).

I think I'll go with the 308s as I like the small size, don't shoot in the studio that much and want it as something I can use for street shooting portraits...
    Last edited by t al z; 12-19-2008 at 03:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used a Sekonic L358C for a few years. However I use on camera metering for my 35mm and an old Weston Master IV hand held meter in combination with flash guide numbers to figure out flash use ahead of time. A little bit of preparation goes a long way. And a deeper understanding of the Zone System, at least of general exposure, and the film you use never hurts.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sekonic 308

Received a Sekonic 308 meter and noticed that in addition to the incident dome that slides over the sensor, there is a separate "high contrast" attachment, similar to the incident dome, but the surface is flat rather than domed. The manual suggests it for high contrast situations such as document copying. Would this be of any value for a high contrast scene as well, such as snow, etc?
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1 View Post
    The Gossen Luna-Pro F will see you through most every light measuring situation including multiple pop situations if you ever plan to shoot large format with strobes. One of the last great analog light meters!
    I'll agree - I've used a LunaPro F for over 20 years (same one). I tried to use one of the "new and improved" digital wonders and rather quickly gave it back to its owner.

I've since bought another "F" model (used) just in case my original becomes non-repairable.

"Beer is proof that God wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Received a Sekonic 308 meter and noticed that in addition to the incident dome that slides over the sensor, there is a separate "high contrast" attachment, similar to the incident dome, but the surface is flat rather than domed. The manual suggests it for high contrast situations such as document copying. Would this be of any value for a high contrast scene as well, such as snow, etc?
    The disk is used to measure the consistency of light over a flat area to make sure your lighting will be even ie:comparing corner to center evenness.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Luna Pro F must have been one of the first, I've had it for so long.. I finally bought it when my Weston Master IV quit working. It has served me well. It is the analog model - which I VASTLY prefer. I really like the "null" system, with which you can easily set a reading to say, Zone 3 and then instantly see where a reading on another object falls. I wasn't sure I'd like that when I bought it, but soon learned how great it is. The new Pro F's are, I believe all digital, but you can find Luna Pro SBC's that offer the same analog system if you don't care about the flash meter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin