Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,663   Online: 939

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    - in the worst case appear as a dead short - without the resistor in place this can lead to catastrophic failure.
    And is REAL exciting!
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Detune;

A different thought: Speaking as someone who worked in electronics in all of his "useful working years," I am not sure that there is a problem with the main storage capacitor that provides the power to the flash tubes.

You said that it works now only on "Max and 2," but not on "4." This is not a problem that I would associate with a failed or failing capacitor. You also said that there was a "sudden slowness in charging." I would not associate a deformed capacitor with a sudden change, especially if the change happened while in use. Problems with deformed capacitors normally show up after long periods of no use and storage. The main symptom will be that they will not hold the charge that they are supposed to have. You did not say that you did not get full light output.

A long increase in the charging time I think is a power supply problem or a control circuit problem. At least the part of the control circuit that monitors the power level of the capacitor does seem to be working still if it is waiting so long for the capacitor to charge up.

To me, the combination of those two symptoms point to a problem with either a section in the power supply or with the control system that sets the power level (Watt-seconds) of the energy stored in the capacitor for the flash tubes. One real curiousity is the fact that it does still work on "Max and 2," but not on "4," the middle power setting. Again, this sounds like more of a control circuit problem.

I am not at all sure what to say about the result when you turn the power switch off and then back on. More detail in the description of what happens here would be very helpful. However, again this could point to a control circuit problem.

I hope that there is a service center in Aukland, Wellington, or Christchurch. Fixing the problem may be very simple, but it may not be simple to diagnose. Having a schematic (a roadmap for electronics) would really be helpful.

My eldest son just sold his motel up in Paihia on the Bay of Islands.
    Last edited by Ralph Javins; 01-10-2009 at 11:41 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Left out a symptom.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For anyone keen to know what it apparently was - a faulty isolation diode... I never woulda guessed....

Fixed for $230 (AUD) have only briefly tested it but judging by the speed it charges now, it must've been dying for some time now!!
    www.detunephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good morning, Doug;

Thank you for the report. I admit that I was curious. From your comments, it did not sound like a capacitor problem, but instead would be in the power supply or control circuit. Nice to know that the repair turned out to be fairly simple, and it was only 230 AUD.

I have performed a diagnosis by remote control over a telephone fairly often in the past, but I do not have a schematic for your flash unit here, and I did not know if you had a voltmeter and could work around the circuit with the needed safety considerations. I do recall one occasion involving a transcontinental telephone call for which the bill for that call came to $80.

Nice to know that DeTune Photography is back in full normal operation.
    Enjoy;

Ralph Javins, Latte Land, Washington

When they ask you; "How many Mega Pixels you got in your camera?"
    just tell them; "I use activated silver bromide crystals tor my image storage media."

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You know what? Soon after, I did 2 shoots and it died again, this time they replaced the power board (like you mention?) and SO FAR SO GOOD... ha ha... oh dear... honestly I love the light given by this little tiny box, especially when combined with the D4 ring flash but due to the recent unreliablility issues, it's sapping my shooting mojo!! Being a random nomad around the world, I can't exactly carry spares!
    www.detunephotography.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin