Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,476   Posts: 1,570,999   Online: 900

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    2 votes for Gossen SBC meters. APUG member wclavey owns 2 SBC meters and I have a third. As I recall, Westley has a Luna-Pro SBC and a Lunasix SBC. I have the Luna-Pro SBC. They work and they work without benefit of light. Well, almost.

I also have an original Luna-Pro with cds cell as a backup. I haven't used it since I got the Luna-Pro SBC.

R/D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks again for all the great advice in this thread. I actually put a bid in on an SBC on Ebay last night, but it was snatched away at literally the last second. I love to do super long, moonlit, night shots and infrared digital photos but for now I'll settle for proper film exposures in broad daylight.

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    An old trick for low light, when your meter won't record *any* 'available murk;'
    set the ASA/ISO as high as it will go, make your reading, (e.g., 30 sec at f0.7) then extrapolate back to your working ISO. Don't forget reciprocity!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Usually, when it is too dark for the meter to register anything, it is too dark for the meter to register anything. Fiddling the display won't help.

Shooter
    35mm
    Your photos don't seem to be taken in very low light. It seems the lighting conditions in your photos weren't too low for most meters. I think a spotmeter of some source would be good as your subjects don't seem to lend themselves to incident metering well.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You may do just as well with a chart of suggested exposures for night situations. These are avialable from several sources. Also, allow for recipricity(sp?)failure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to eventually use studio flash then consider the Luna Pro F. By the way, I believe the original Luna Pro used a battery that you can no longer buy, and you have to fiddle with work-arounds.

Others, such as the Luna Pro F use plain old ordinary 9V batteries. Try to get one of the 9V models. Just be aware of an apparent error in the English version of the owners manual regarding the battery test function.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by R/D View Post
    Thanks for the advice folks. I think Im going to go with the Luna Pro SBC. Wish me luck !
    You won't go wrong with an SBC. I have one, and I also have a LP F. The F is nice for flash metering, of course, but it doesn't take the attachments that the SBC does, except for the variable angle attachment, which I believe all analog LP models will take.

One nice thing about the SBC (and the F far as that goes) is it takes a 9v battery, not one of the mercury ones you can't find anymore.

Best,

Michael

Shooter
    35mm

The Winner!

OOPS! I already plugged the Luna-Pro sbc.

Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    the Luna pro SBC is what I use.
    Luna-Pro sbc in the USA. Or whatever it's called in the rest of world. A most useful meter for many reasons. The analog display is TOPS! The undisputed low light King! Generally available for $50 (+ or -) in EXC+ condition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One trick that can help when your meter is near the bottom of its range is to use a white card and increase the exposure by the difference from a standard grey card. You can get 2-3 stops more response over a general reflected reading. All it takes is enough planning to measure the offset of your particular 'white' card.

I have had a couple of meters whose response is non-linear at low light levels, and this helps a lot.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin