Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,283   Online: 891

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Vivitar 238(?)can't get batteries out!!

Hi All,
    And their dead! When I first got it the things came out fine,popped right out!! I gently slipped back in and closed up the door and followed the manual just in case, and to "form"the capacitor I used the flash like 5 times and it charged agained before I shut it off! I put on the camera go to use and nothing! And nothing when I try to test? I unhook the flash from the camera just in case and still nothing so I figure dead batterries and now They seem stuck in the flash like something is holding it in at a point only a finger nail can get under an edge to try to pry up gentle and that is no go so I quit!
    Anyone know what has happened and how I can fix at home? I hope?
    Thanks for any replys
    Terry
    I'm brain damaged,what's your excuse?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Terry,

Make sure you push the door all the way over so the battery tray will fall out.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, Chris has the key. Sometimes it seems the door is open all the way but it isn't. Also, when you look at the battery holder (upon opening the door), is the right angled corner of the battery holder on the top left corner? All the other corners are rounded.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Chris and Eric,
    I just tried again. And with a little help from my fingernail out the pack came!!I'll have to see IF the 283 will work OK with rechargeable AA batteries? I will try to keep track of the number of flashes I get out of the cheap ones I put in for now? I go now and read the manual I downloaded from Orphancamera.com and see what I can learn?
    Thanks for the info and help,
    Terry

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The 283 will work with rechargeables. It once was the workhorse of many pros. It's a great flash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm View Post
    The 283 will work with rechargeables. It once was the workhorse of many pros. It's a great flash.
    Yep, I have 4 of them!! 2 with the vari-power and 2 with the other one.

If you want batteries, check this guy out

www.aljacobs.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Mike,
    And next you'll be telling me in can get rechargeable buttons of 1.35 volts for my SRT camera!! I'll have to break the news to my kids to move their digis over Daddy's home!!!:0 I think there's different types of rechargeable batteries is there a certain type I should look for and a type to stay away from? Thanks again for the info!!
    Terry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Again View Post
    Hi Mike,
    ..... is there a certain type I should look for and a type to stay away from? Thanks again for the info!!
    Any of the rechargable AA cells will work.

In my experience, a "charge" in a rechargable will not last nearly as long as good fresh set of alkaline Energizers - but you're saving by using them over and over.

I'd get two sets (8 batteries) so I could have a freshly charged set on hand.

Also, you should discharge the batteries all the way before recharging to keep them working at maximum capacity.

When I was running four photographers at a newpaper, we pulled the discharged batteries out of the flashes and put them into two cell flashlights which we left on on the top of our desks.

When the penlights put out no light, we put the batteries in the charger.

Vivitar used to market a quick charge battery pack with a dedicated charger that would recharge in less than an hour. It was, even back in the 80s, very expensive unless you using them in a business.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nyoung View Post
    Vivitar used to market a quick charge battery pack with a dedicated charger that would recharge in less than an hour. It was, even back in the 80s, very expensive unless you using them in a business.
    I had one of these, although it was actually in the 1970s .

It worked really well, and it may have been a mistake to sell it.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem I always had with my 283's was corrosion on the contacts of the battery holder. I was constantly scratching, sanding, and filing them trying to get good contact. The final solution to the problem was a Quantum 1 battery. I still have the first one I bought about 20 years ago; if it starts getting weak, you can have them recelled at the factory for a fraction of the cost of a new one. Beats the heck out of any kind of AA's, rechargeable or not.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin