Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,618   Online: 1054

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Calcu Light XP question

I have just bought a used Quantum Calcu Light XP exposure meter. It's in great condition and seem really nicely designed. However, when I press the "Measure" button, the digits in the display window blink, they are never continuous, they keep blinking as long as keep the button pressed. The readings are accurate, but I am not sure if the blinking is normal. There's no mention of it in the documentation. Does anyone have this meter and can answer my question? Thanks very much!

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had one that died, and I don't remember it doing that.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, that's a bummer. I really like this meter, but the blinking is probably a sign that it is malfunctioning or dying.

Images
    Good Evening, Aparat,

I also had meter, a Calcu-Flash, which just suddenly died. Until that happened, it was an accurate, highly satisfactory instrument. I wonder if there's a general unreliability problem with the brand???

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you tried changing the batteries ?
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There is a manual online somewhere and I have it on one of my computers. I got it several years ago. I will try to find it and give you a link. In the meantime, you might try googling.

-F.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think the blinking indicate that it continues to take readings with the button pressed. Once you release the button it "locks in" the prevailing reading. You only need to press and release the button to take a reading. As you say the readings are accurate and consistent I wouldn't worry too much.
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone for your answers! As usual, I learned a lot. Yes, I found the manual, but it doesn't mention that the display would be blinking.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    OK, I have hear from two other Calcu Light XP users, and the blinking is normal in "Read" mode. But it is counter-intuitive because blinking usually indicates things other than normal operation. Thanks to all for your contributions!

Shooter
    Large Format

No worries - Memory Button on Left Side

I was just checking out my XP tonight and it is still going strong after several years. I had to read the manual again but thought I could share my experience - even though late to the thread.
    The display in the window is fleeting to say the least; however, the meter remembers the value and it will be there to recall if you push the memory button on the left side of the meter.
    Perhaps this is why its batteries last so very long - quite energy efficient really.

I think I'll take it out with my new D800 and see how much they agree. Of course, this is APUG so I had also better bring along the Contax, Shen-Hao, or Bronica. The 8x10 can stay home!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin