Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,605   Online: 1267

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

vivitar 283 battery question

I have a Sunpak 383 and it requires batteries to make the auto feature work. W/o batteries it simply dumps at full power.

I'm looking shave a few ounces and thought about the Vivitar 283. Does anyone know if it requires batteries to complete the circuit so the auto feature works.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Lets give Jim some credit.. with 1700 posts he should have some basic knowledge by now.

Some shoe-mount flashes can use an external source, like a quantum pack or an AC adapter.

I'm assuming this is what he means, that even with an external source the flash still requires batteries to run its auto function.

As to his question I dont know... I do have a vivitar 285hv but that is slightly different. maybe if you search for a manual it will help.

Darin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The internal batteries usually run all the smart circuitry. An external high voltage pack only charges the capacitor. Now an external low voltage pack or ac adapter usually replaces or even charges the internal batteries, and then there are some external power packs that can supply both low and high voltages to the flash head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've not had this problem with any of my flashes. I always buy the ac adapter when I get a new flash so when they are used in the studio for product photography I'm not wasting batteries. I have actually used multiple flashes on auto and they work just fine. My understanding of how the power supply works is that the currant goes to a single convertor inside the flash where it modified for the use by the flash tube, sensor, electronics at whatever voltage that is needed for each. In other words, only one power imput.
    Jim, could it be that your finger was over the sensor when you discharged the flash thereby causing it to dump all the charge? My 283's, 285's, 611's all will flash many times on auto when the power is off. The number of "off" flashes depends on what distance setting the flash is set to and how close the flash is to an object. Also, not all "Auto" exposure flashes are thyristor. The first ones (70's, 80's era ) simply dumped the unused charge after the short flash burst. The thyristor electronics greatly increased the number of flashes per set of batteries plus gave instant recycle time at close distances. I can't remember if the 383 is thyristor or not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, Darwin is thinking along my lines. I'm shooting weddings/outdoor portraits with a Bronica ETR (yup, still film), Sunpak 555 and a Stroboframe bracket. All this adds up to some poundage. I have no problem inside where I can synch up to 1/500th sec for flash. My problem is that for outdoor weddings on cloudy, dark days and doing fill flash, my shutter speeds are sometimes down to 1/15 and I can get camera shake; I'm ok on sunny days.

I bought a Sunpak 383 to go for a lighter weight flash than the 555, but with the 383 I need to have AA batteries in the chamber to complete the circuit for the auto feature to work; the main charge is coming from a Turbo.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether the Vivitar 283 can fire on auto w/o AA's in the chamber when powered by a Turbo? I'm trying to shave as many ounces off the weight as I can. The 383 with AA batteries is nearly the same weight as the 555 w/o them.

BTW, I'm certain I was not covering the sensor.
    Last edited by jim appleyard; 02-26-2009 at 08:01 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post

I was wondering if anyone knows whether the Vivitar 283 can fire on auto w/o AA's in the chamber when powered by a Turbo?
    Yes. My 283 works fine with a Quantum battery, on auto as well as manual. The adapter takes the place of the batteries.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    Yes. My 283 works fine with a Quantum battery, on auto as well as manual. The adapter takes the place of the batteries.
    The adapter? I'm afraid you lost me on this one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IIRC Quantum made a low voltage high current output pack for the 283 that just replaces the internal batteries, the cord ends in an adapter that replaces the factory battery holder. The 283s I've seen do not have provision for a high voltage external battery pack, neither does my older non HV 285. What voltage(s) does your turbo power pack supply?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    yes you need batteries to run the 283.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob-D659 View Post
    IIRC Quantum made a low voltage high current output pack for the 283 that just replaces the internal batteries, the cord ends in an adapter that replaces the factory battery holder. The 283s I've seen do not have provision for a high voltage external battery pack, neither does my older non HV 285. What voltage(s) does your turbo power pack supply?
    I don't know about the voltage for the turbo, but I think it's 510.

The 283 does accept an external power source: Turbo ( with a CV cord) and the Vivitar HVP-1; perhaps others as well. This may have been an added feature in later models?

I'll have to look into the battery adapter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin