Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,474   Online: 928

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Uh oh... my Soligor light meter is acting oddly!

Tonight I broke out the 4x5, and spent some time lovingly arranging 3 pears on a table. After about 15 minutes or so spent focusing and adjusting lighting I was ready to take a meter reading. Out comes my trusty Soligor Spot Sensor-II, I point the circle at the shadows, pull the trigger and... nothing. Where the heck is the needle to give me my shadow reading? I pull the battery out and put it back in, pull the trigger again and note that the battery light comes on. Still no movement on the dial.

Any ideas as to why this is happening? The meter worked just fine a few days ago, so I'm thinking that despite the red light indicating that the battery is OK it may be on its last legs; I won't know until I can pick up a new battery to check it. As an aside, does anyone here have a link to where I can find the manual online? A google search came up empty and I didn't get one when I bought the meter so I don't know if the manual mentions anything about this. If any of you good folks would be so kind as to check your manual for this problem I'd be greatly appreciative!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I would take the easy step first. Replace the battery and see if all is well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Justin, by all means please post your findings. I also use a Soligor spot meter II
    with a 9V battery and would like to know what problems to expect. thanks
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format

Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by naeroscatu View Post
    Justin, by all means please post your findings. I also use a Soligor spot meter II
    with a 9V battery and would like to know what problems to expect. thanks
    Me too!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just tried putting a fresh battery in, but no luck. This is very strange as the meter has worked beautifully for many months up until a few days ago. I'll try opening it up and seeing if something got stuck.

Any other ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Make sure the battery terminals inside are clean, my garage openers started doing this and I cleaned the terminals and they worked consistently again.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Curt, how do I clean the battery terminals? If that's the problem it's a much cheaper solution than $95!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    After looking up shipping information and the cost of a replacement meter at KEH I've concluded that it's less expensive for me to buy another Soligor than it is to have this one repaired. I cracked it open today and even though I don't know much about how they work I think the problem is the circular thingy (that I think is the photo diode). Any reason why this might suddenly stop working, or tips on how to fix or replace it? If I can get it working again that'll save me about $140 at least...

Shooter
    35mm
    My bro got the Soligor at Goodwill for $10 and he thought he paid too much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin